1971 Chrysler 55 hp water pump

Philip0812

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Oct 27, 2005
Messages
5
Hi, I'm new to the sight and to boating so please be patient. I recently aquired a 1971 chrysler 55 hp outboard and was wondering if the water pump is working correctly. Should there be a stream of water coming from behind the engine out of the "pee-hole" or just heavy mist? Also, does the engine have an electric choke because it doesn't seem to work and I have to manually choke the engine to get it started?
 

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Joined
Jun 24, 2003
Messages
4,182
Re: 1971 Chrysler 55 hp water pump

Hello Philip and welcome to iboats. Chryslers dont put much water out the back end but you should be getting more then just mist. You might want to change the impeller on the lower unit. To engage the electric choke you push the key in when turning key to start motor. When you push the key in you should hear and audible click as the solinoid engages the choke butterfly and closes it.
 
Top