1971 18HP Evinrude Fastwin

LindenLongRods

Petty Officer 2nd Class
compression 119 both cylinders, spark 1/4” not consistent, maybe adjust points and fuel was pumping. My thoughts fuel delivery thro carb

racerone

Supreme Mariner
If spark is NOT CONSISTANT it needs to be addressed.-----Weak spark is a major reason for no start.----When ever a motor ( outboard or lawnmower ) came into the shop I used to ask folks ----" a little hard to start "---The usual answer was " yes " ----Trouble shooting and inspection is the path to take here !!

LindenLongRods

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I think because part that went in plug boot was loose or adjustment with points, and fuel pumped. I think a fuel delivery problem in the Carb somewhere. I will soak it paint thinner to remove any varnish and replace metal caps this time. Any other input will be welcomed

LindenLongRods

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If spark is NOT CONSISTANT it needs to be addressed.-----Weak spark is a major reason for no start.----When ever a motor ( outboard or lawnmower ) came into the shop I used to ask folks ----" a little hard to start "---The usual answer was " yes " ----Trouble shooting and inspection is the path to take here !!
I will adjust points, but what does it mean that I am getting spark, even if not good? does it mean Coil and condenser is good?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
lacquer thinner, not mineral spirits. Pull the spring connecter in the boot out the big end. Reattach by pushing the spike into the center of the wire to contact the metal core. Are you now testing spark with a device of some kind?

remove both plugs when testing -- spins faster, and less likelihood that the motor will fire.

Last edited:

LindenLongRods

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK I did the leak down test. Pretty sure I did it right. No leaks and compression is 119 on both cylinders. I'm going to rebuild carb again any other suggestions? Reed test?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
retired school teacher, I bet (god love 'em -- family full of them.)

Get a spark tester, and measure spark:
xLIS50850_1200Wx1200H.jpg.pagespeed.ic.DpYWD8n9Ep.jpg

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Consistently sharp, 1/4" spark on each, then. yes?

If you already replaced points, condensers and coils, try readjusting points (0.020). Clean them first with some acetone on a piece of cardboard (matchbook cover works well). Wires and connectors might also be due. 7mm OD with wire inner core.

Last edited:

LindenLongRods

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Consistently sharp, 1/4" spark on each, then. yes?

If you already replaced points, condensers and coils, try readjusting points (0.020). Clean them first with some acetone on a piece of cardboard (matchbook cover works well). Wires and connectors might also be due. 7mm OD with wire inner core.
Ok

LindenLongRods

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Passed reed test, rebuilding carburetor, soaking now. Does the main brass jet come out? part #45 bridge needle valve, does that need to come out? Any suggestions. I also took caps off this time, how hard do the new ones need to be tapped back in? Just so they sit tight?7EE3BF85-275B-47D4-9195-A5E4153BEC84.jpeg

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Sorry----Jets are calibrated to control fuel.----That item is the nozzle and is not a jet.----The main jet on your motor is in the very bottom of the float bowl.

LindenLongRods

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sorry----Jets are calibrated to control fuel.----That item is the nozzle and is not a jet.----The main jet on your motor is in the very bottom of the float bowl.
So the nozzle does not need to be removed? I took out the main jet. What about piece #35 not 45 Bridge needle valve, the little piece inside

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Domed caps expand when tapped into place. Some use nail polish as a last step to make sure there is a seal. Soak the top of that carb, with the nozzle in place.

LindenLongRods

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Domed caps expand when tapped into place. Some use nail polish as a last step to make sure there is a seal. Soak the top of that carb, with the nozzle in place.
Is my nozzle missing something?? I'm watching youtube videos and all the carbs have a smaller brass tube inside the nozzle

LindenLongRods

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No.----Do not put too much faith in some dummy tube videos.
my carb kit comes with 3 little black o rings, and a white plastic piece, do I need them or where do they go? I realize the kit is universal3D54262C-6FFD-4DA5-BC0E-9D6155AE7CF7.jpeg

Last edited: