1970 Supersport restore

swmarsh

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
May 5, 2009
Messages
6
Hello fellas,
I have been lurking in this forum for a month now. I have never owned a boat so I found one that needed some TLC and bought it for $120.00
I couldnt pass this one up. The motor ran. It just needed some adjustments on the carbs. Its a 85hp evinrude. I just wanted to get it out into the water so I did a quick install of the flooring and carpet. I am gonna totally restore it this fall. Here is a few pics of the boat before and now with the quick paint job.
Steve
 

Attachments

  • DSCN0353_640x480_586x440_560x400.jpg
    DSCN0353_640x480_586x440_560x400.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN0347_640x480_560x400.jpg
    DSCN0347_640x480_560x400.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCN0346_640x480_560x400.jpg
    DSCN0346_640x480_560x400.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 1

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
23,767
Re: 1970 Supersport restore

You got a great deal! Exact same situation I had. Found mine with my 85 Johnson kinda running for $200. We had to replace most of the electrical in the motor though and have the carbs and fuel pump rebuilt. It's been running great for 5 seasons since then. My boat was in similar condition as yours. Check the link in my signiture. Good luck with your project.
 

swmarsh

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
May 5, 2009
Messages
6
Re: 1970 Supersport restore

ezmobee, You have a beautiful boat.
I went ahead and took the transum out lastnight. Pretty rotten. What was odd is that it was in 3 pieces. It had a large bottom piece and 2 corner pieces. Is this pretty common? I had to fold the aluminum at the corners to
get it out. Someone give me an idea of what type of ply to use to replace it.
Its 1 1/2" Id like to get it ready again for the weekend.
Thanks Steve
 

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
23,767
Re: 1970 Supersport restore

Thank you.

Mine was such total mulch in the corners I wouldn't know if it was in 3 pieces. I replaced it with one piece. I traced a template onto cardboard. I used 2 pieces of 3/4" exterior ply sandwiched together using PL premium construction adhesive then screwed together using home depot deck screws. I painted the wood with exterior porch and floor paint. I don't plan on keeping my boat forever so I didn't bother with all the epoxying or fiberglassing many people on here go through for sealing. I also had to bend a little tin to get everything in there.
 

falkor

Cadet
Joined
Jun 3, 2009
Messages
11
Re: 1970 Supersport restore

You guys did an awesome job on your Starcrafts :). I am presently doing an early 70's Supersport. The exterior and transom are great. The interior..not so good.Just gutted it tonight. It will only have a single consol when done and a livewell across the front, Plexi windshield,non slip boat vinyl on the lower and carpet on the upper with lid locking storage. Quite the project but I have been amassing the components all winter on Ebay. Wish me luck .I will thread pictures when done.
 
Top