1970 MFG Westlake windshield. Help from experts!

kozman03

Cadet
Hello everyone. I picked up a 1970 MFG Westfield with a 2007 Mercury 50hp for the cost of essentially the motor, Boat is in above average shape. I'm looking at doing a pretty good refresh on the interior and gelcoat. The major issue is the windscreen. It's the original Taylor Made aluminum framed Plexiglas I'm assuming. The crazing of the shield doesn't bother me as much as there is a pronounced bow in the middle of the top edge of the aluminum frame. I don't know how it happened, but I'm going to assume over the decades, people used the middle of the windshield as an assist to standing up from a seated position. The windshield is approximately 63 inches across and MFR did not put any support across the entire length. So I'm looking at my options and wonder if I could get some opinions here. I have already disconnected the shield from the boat, so at a minimum, I'd have to order another seal for underneath the lower aluminum piece and the "seal" that goes along the lower aluminum frame and the windshield.

​1. Attempt to take frame off. Not sure how to separate the frame from the Plexiglas. Get top aluminum frame straightened and then try to use old bowed Plexiglas or order a new piece. If any one has any advice on how to separate the frame from the Plexiglas, I'd really appreciate it. I know if I separate the frame form the window, I'll have to replace the seals inside the frame as well.

​2. Taylor Made has an "off the shelf" windshield called the "Holiday". Cost is app 500 plus the lower seal. I'm still looking into if this will fit my boat, but I'm pretty sure it will. I'll have to fill in a few mounting holes from the old shield.

​3. If there are other options, please let me know. This is really the last "cherry on top" to get my boat looking pretty damn good and on the water.

​Thank you for any help you can send my way!! I'll try to get a pic posted on the OEM shield on the boat. Have a great evening!

Attachments

• photo260833.jpg
    photo260833.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo260834.jpg
    photo260834.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 1

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
No Title

You might be able to adapt a 3 piece windshield from a junk boat. That's what I did for my '66 Starcraft Jupiter. Got the "new" windshield on ebay really cheap.

Attachments

• photo257077.JPG
    photo257077.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo260835.JPG
    photo260835.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo260836.JPG
    photo260836.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo260837.jpg
    photo260837.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo260838.jpg
    photo260838.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 0

jbcurt00

Staff member
Ebay often has similar original style windshields, w or without the aluminum channel frame. Cheaper then TaylorMade, but not by half.

You can DIY a frame and plexi, but I dont recall who did the frame write up, but Andgott and LakeLover both did DIY windshield topics
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...or-an-old-boat

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...craft-jet-star

Good luck w your project, staty a resto/rebuild topic on theFG when you get started and post pix when you can

EDIT: pix you added finally showed up. That flat panel windshield should be easy to find in good shape

kozman03

Cadet
Thank you guys. Didn't even think about a three piece off of Ebay and thanks for letting me know that this windscreen should be that hard to find if I got that route. Again, appreciate it guys!