1970 Johnson 60 HP 3 Cyl neutral prop question

domwebhost

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi,

As many of the seasoned boaters on this forum may be aware, I have a 1970 Johnson 60HP 3 cyl ( with wire terminal and monkey nutz). I recently bought a pair of "muffs" to try and start it. I hooked the muffs up and cranked over the engine (btw, with prop OFF to be able to see the water coming out of the outlet, which it did once the engine started)... What I noticed is that even though it says it was in Neutral (was neither in F nor R) and the throttle lock button was depressed the prop shaft was still turning. Now this engine has not ran since I had gotten it two summers ago so I didn't know if the clutch dog or whatever could be not fully disengaging for neutral could be stuck due to not being used for awhile and if perhaps once I put it in the water and shift between F and R and N if it might loosen up and stop the prop shaft from spinning in the N position, or if this is just normal and perhaps the prop has a clutch within it that only engages the prop at a certain RPM via centrifugal force. So, I guess I am asking:

Is this normal?
Should I worry about this?
Will running the engine as it is now damage it?
Likely culprit(s) and procedure(s) for testing/repairing?

Thanks in advance as I am sure you guys will, once again, be at the top of your game and make small work of these questions.

crxess

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1970 Johnson 60 HP 3 Cyl neutral prop question

You will never stop the shaft from turning under no load conditions it's just friction/chatter on the drive gears. You can stop it by hand, release and it will start moving again.

In the water, it will normally stop or turn very slowly.

A non issue normally.