1970 Johnson 115 - pulse pack wiring help (no spark)

ayukna

Cadet
I've been beating on my new-to-me 1970 Johnson 115 (#115ESL70D) attached to a 1964 MFG Seacruiser for a few months and can't get spark. When I bought it, the original Motorola pulse pack (I believe it is called the "amplifier" originally) was completely disintegrated and the old owner (nice fellow) gave me the replacement part #398363 for the Wabash pulse pack. I've since worked my way around replacing the bad starter, bad coil (this engine only has 1 coil), most wiring including all battery terminals, etc. but can't a stinking spark to the plugs. It cranks over very strong but nothing is getting to the plugs. I tested the stator and it has the correct continuity, so, my buddy suggested that it could be the pulse pack wiring.

When I bough the "new" (used but tested) pulse pack from the nice folks at South Central Outboards, I asked for a wiring diagram to map the 4 wires the Motorola has to the 7 the new pulse pack has and was pointed to this troubleshooting diagram: https://www.cdielectronics.com/wp-c...Documents/Installation Sheets/IS-511-9701.pdf

This doesn't give directions but I thought it lined up OK. Having tested most everything with the help of a good friend that is very good with 2 strokes, we are at a loss so I'm looking for any pics or wire coded/colored diagrams to line it up properly so I can eliminate this as the issue (and beat my head on a rock to figure out next what the cause is).

Has anyone done this and can take pics or point me in the right direction?

ayukna

Cadet
Have you looked at the points? Have you pulled the flywheel at all?
Thanks for the quick reply!

Yes. The points are relatively new - the fellow I bought it from in April worked on them last Summer - and aren't corroded, etc. The motor hasn't run in about 25 years, mind you, but, that looks decent.

I had to pull the flywheel to fix a corroded reverse switch wire and wire-brushed the flywheel face + stator face while it was off.

ayukna

Cadet
Have you looked at the points? Have you pulled the flywheel at all?
Regarding the points, I've read that this "modern" pulse pack/CDI may require a different points setup than the stock one. Any idea if that is true here?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Do the plug wires have full continuity spring clip to spring clip?

ayukna

Cadet
Do the plug wires have full continuity spring clip to spring clip?
I'm not an engine and electric guy but I know we did test the clip end and screw-in end that goes in the stator and all were good. My buddy tested them and he's a 2 stroke guy.

I'm leaning towards the need for a Phase 2 rotor being a requirement for the "new style" CDI/pulse pack and am trying to source one cheap now. That said, I could really use a photo of someone's wiring that has done this on a late 60s/early 70s Johnson 115.

rowerowe101

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I was gonna say check continuity on plug wires and ignition as well, but you said you already replaced ignition, i would still check however. In my experience plug wires always connect from the plug to the ignition coil.. youres plugs to the stator..?

ayukna

Cadet
I was gonna say check continuity on plug wires and ignition as well, but you said you already replaced ignition, i would still check however. In my experience plug wires always connect from the plug to the ignition coil.. youres plugs to the stator..?
Ah, I mistyped - my plugs go into the distributor under the stator. There is a single coil that is mounted outside of the flywheel right above the terminal block. My next move is the order the Phase 2 rotor and measure peak output once in place.

ayukna

Cadet
^ Bump to see if anyone can post a pic of the modern pulse pack/CDI wiring on this 1970 Johnson 115. Thanks!