1970 Evinrude 60HP Triumph poor idle

Bumpa53

Cadet
When I start the engine it runs rich spewing an oil cloud and spits raw fuel. Advancing the throttle in gear before it warms up just bogs the engine down and it stalls. After warmup it idles OK, but after prolonged idle it will bog down and foul the plugs. I checked that the choke is OFF, oil/gas mixture is correct, spark is present, changed plugs, points and rebuilt carbs many times. Motor runs fine at part power and WOT after plugs are cleared. Problem has been present almost since new. Any advice would be appeciated.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1970 Evinrude 60HP Triumph poor idle

have you ever cleaned and rebuilt the carbs? did you do the change on the choke that the service bulletin, suggested?

wavrider

Chief Petty Officer

Try gapping plugs to .040 if you do alot of idle time, helps prevent from fouling.

You may also look at your timing advance and make sure it operates smoothly through out the throttle range, timing may also be set wrong, a link n sync by the manual should fix the timing issue at idle.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

What plugs are you using? Hopefully not the kind that was originally specified. They caused nothing but misery from the get-go. Use L77JC4 or QL77JC4 gapped at .030-.040".

Bumpa53

Cadet

I have cleaned and rebuilt the carbs several times. I also dumped the original surface gap plugs in the 70's. I'll check the plug # & gap. I do not know about a choke procedure. Can you supply more info ?

thanks