1970 EVINRUDE 60ESL/ WEAK SPARK/ EVERYONE IS STUMPED!

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1970 EVINRUDE 60ESL/ WEAK SPARK/ EVERYONE IS STUMPED!

Joe_D..... As those older "Battery Capacitance Discharge" ignition engines age, the electric starter is known to draw amperage, current, voltage, whatever one might call it, away from the amplifier (Powerpack). This results is weak, erratic, or no ignition.<br /><br />The cure is to install a diode which is capable of handling a 12 volt flow. This diode is to be installed between the electric starter stud and the wire terminal that supplies 12 volts to the powerpack.<br /><br />The diode must be installed in such a manner that voltage travels through it from the starter to the amplifier, NOT vice versa!<br /><br />This enables the voltage being supplied to the electric starter to be also supplied to the amplifier.... rather than having the electric starter pull voltage from it.<br /><br />Let us know if this cures your problem.

jjoediv

Seaman Apprentice

i have done all the carb stuff and cleaned them with industial cleaner(i work as an aircraft machinist) there was an inline auto fuel filter put on last summer in an effort to thwart fuel contamination. the safety switch was broken so i am going to see if i can buy a new one ( $20 i expect).along with the new relay i am hoping this solves the problem, if not i may do some voltage checks to see if the amplifier is getting what it should. i shall not be detered <br />from this task. it has been 1 1/2 yrs on this motor. to look at it you would think i'm crazy but it is now a challenge. i will post my progress each day in the hopes that you guys will comment as you've been great help, answering question nobody could!!!

jjoediv

Seaman Apprentice

ok, i think the spark problem is solved but i need to put in new plugs as the old (new ) ones were fouled when i tried to get it running. i grouded the safety switch wire as i could not locate a new switch. question:what plugs should i use and what gap, also how should i go about adjusting carbs. should i get an rpm or tach gauge and how do i hook it up/ or use it. i also puuled the 3 spark plug wires and am not positive which goes to what plug. my son broke his leg and is having surgery tonight so i won't get to the boat until sunday. again thanks to all for your advice and responses

jjoediv

Seaman Apprentice

Originally posted by Joe Reeves:<br />Joe_D..... As those older "Battery Capacitance Discharge" ignition engines age, the electric starter is known to draw amperage, current, voltage, whatever one might call it, away from the amplifier (Powerpack). This results is weak, erratic, or no ignition.<br /><br />The cure is to install a diode which is capable of handling a 12 volt flow. This diode is to be installed between the electric starter stud and the wire terminal that supplies 12 volts to the powerpack.<br /><br />The diode must be installed in such a manner that voltage travels through it from the starter to the amplifier, NOT vice versa!<br /><br />This enables the voltage being supplied to the electric starter to be also supplied to the amplifier.... rather than having the electric starter pull voltage from it.<br /><br />Let us know if this cures your problem.

jjoediv

Seaman Apprentice

frustrating.after several atrtemps at adjusting the 3 carbs i managed to get it started, however my small control throttle was up in the start position(higher rpm)when i cut the rpm the motor would stall and not restart for a while. i know this reaks of low speed idle or carb floats or dirty but the carbs have been cleaned and checked twice!it finally ran at high rpm for 5- 10 mins (in driveway on ears) but suddenly stalled, would not restart. i pulled the plugs to find the top and bott plugs soaked and the middle moist,all seem to have blackened oil wich i think could be thefog stuff i used when storing for winter. help, i really am ready to give up. could i hve some sort of vacuum problem, would an auto fuel pump help even though the current one on the motor seems to work, finall where can i find a 35- 50 hp outboard and controls without mortgaging my car. thanks for any reply or advice. joe<br />ps . can't even find champion plugs ( 4 different part stores

jjoediv

Seaman Apprentice

Originally posted by ddaigle:<br />Joe , do you have a manual? There is a good troubleshooting process in the seloc manual I have. One of the first steps is checking voltage while cranking the motor. The amplifier needs at least 9.5 volts while the starter is cranking or it will not function right. I replaced my amp and coil due to scrap wiring, but I rewired the amp and it worked on my motor.Just didn't want to run it permanently like that. You are welcome to try them. The coil is good just old. Im still leaning toward the auto solenoid or bad wiring-connections though.

jjoediv

Seaman Apprentice

Originally posted by joe d:<br />frustrating.after several atrtemps at adjusting the 3 carbs i managed to get it started, however my small control throttle was up in the start position(higher rpm)when i cut the rpm the motor would stall and not restart for a while. i know this reaks of low speed idle or carb floats or dirty but the carbs have been cleaned and checked twice!it finally ran at high rpm for 5- 10 mins (in driveway on ears) but suddenly stalled, would not restart. i pulled the plugs to find the top and bott plugs soaked and the middle moist,all seem to have blackened oil wich i think could be thefog stuff i used when storing for winter. help, i really am ready to give up. could i hve some sort of vacuum problem, would an auto fuel pump help even though the current one on the motor seems to work, finall where can i find a 35- 50 hp outboard and controls without mortgaging my car. thanks for any reply or advice. joe<br />ps . can't even find champion plugs ( 4 different part stores

jjoediv

Seaman Apprentice

Originally posted by joe d:<br />
Originally posted by joe d:<br />frustrating.after several atrtemps at adjusting the 3 carbs i managed to get it started, however my small control throttle was up in the start position(higher rpm)when i cut the rpm the motor would stall and not restart for a while. i know this reaks of low speed idle or carb floats or dirty but the carbs have been cleaned and checked twice!it finally ran at high rpm for 5- 10 mins (in driveway on ears) but suddenly stalled, would not restart. i pulled the plugs to find the top and bott plugs soaked and the middle moist,all seem to have blackened oil wich i think could be thefog stuff i used when storing for winter. help, i really am ready to give up. could i hve some sort of vacuum problem, would an auto fuel pump help even though the current one on the motor seems to work, finall where can i find a 35- 50 hp outboard and controls without mortgaging my car. thanks for any reply or advice. joe<br />ps . can't even find champion plugs ( 4 different part stores

jjoediv

Seaman Apprentice

Originally posted by ddaigle:<br />I was tracing wiring and checking voltage and found out that the trigger to the solenoid from the ignition switch is a negative. You may be pulling too much voltage from the ignition with the car solenoid. Just a guess, like I said Im no expert at this.
hey ddaigle how could i get those parts. i have the motor running but sounds like erratic missing. stalls after 10 mins running at 1/4 throttle. i puuled plugs and top & bott were soaked but middle was just moist

ddaigle

Petty Officer 1st Class

Joe d, If you want the parts e-mail me your address at ddaigle@lfcisd.net, I dont think it would cost very much to send them.