1970 16 ft tri hull need help!

xlvmax

Cadet
Hello, I recently purchased a 1970 tri hull. This was a cheap buy, only $700 for everything. The motor runs great, 60hp evinrude. Today i got into it and ripped out the carpet and checked all the wiring. Everything seems ok except the deck....This worries me. Almost the entire deck seems soft. It is all fiber glass and have no clue where to go from here. Thanks for any help! Paul
boat 1.jpg
NEW BOAT.jpg
boat 2.jpg

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral
Re: 1970 16 ft tri hull need help!

Hello max..and welcome to Iboats..

Yup..looks like your in for a complete Iboats total refit ..

Stringers,trans..deck.. you can all find it here in other threads with Everything you need :)

I speak for everyone here..post them resto pics every step :) .

YD.

xlvmax

Cadet

Ok...Do you think the boat is worth all the work? Im all about doing the job right but do not know if it would be cost effective. How much do you think materials would be? I have all the tools. Thanks!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Again, Welcome to iBoats!
Typically, a job like yours will take approx. 100 hrs to complete and about $500 to $1,000 in materials, that's just an estimate depending on your local material costs and what all you need. Could be more, could be less.
Check out this thread to see an example of what you will need to do....

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=441929&highlight=parrisw

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Well..... get together all the supplies and a handful of ambitious friends........ remove the motor, separate the hull .......... rip out the old stuff and re-install the new stuff.

Sounds easy but it is tedious work.

You will need...... enough plywood to do the deck and 1 additional 4X8 piece. The deck can be 1/2 and for the transom you will need 3/4"....... the extra sheet should be 3/4 too.

The cheap way is exterior grade plywood, fiberglass, and polyester resin. Enough cloth to cover all the plywood and probably at least 3 gallons of resin. [if you want epoxy resin it will destroy your budget]

Get a few sheets of 2" thick 2X8 pink or blue foam insulation for use as flotation.

Actually no one here will give you any "cost" associated with your project but..... we will guide you to resin's etc. Home depot or lowes will be fine for the exterior plywood. Some people have spent hundreds and other's have spent thousands.....

Is it worth it?????? well you will have a safe boat to play with and 700 as an initial investment is not too bad...... what year is the motor?

Trust me you will hit your wallet for many things but in my opinion....... it can be very rewarding and worth it. It will be a fun boat when your done ;)

Oh so you have all the tools........ well I will tell you in advance that tri-hulls are the MOST common for people to cut right through the hull!!!! Be certain to set the depth on your circular saw slightly SHY of the right depth ........

Have fun!

xlvmax

Cadet

Thanks for the help. Ill have to do some digging around on this forum and find out what I have in store. The motor is a 1970 Evinrude 60. Thanks again

xlvmax

Cadet

Ok im trying to soak in all this info.....Seems fairly simple....just alot of time. Where is the cheapest place to buy the fiberglass materials? Ive been doing some looking and have found nothing. Also how much resin would you think i would need? Thanks. Im going to start ripping it up sun or mon. I will post some pictures. Thanks