1969 Steury 2200

dailycraftsman

Recruit
Hi guys, I’m new to iboats and have a question on the rarity of a boat I recently purchased. I own a 1969 Steury 2200 with 898 Mercruiser inboard/outboard. It is on the original trailer and has all original components, I believe. I have done my due diligence looking into this boat. I did not come across any pictures on the web except one that I believe is the same boat that I recently purchased. Also when researching I found some info stating that 1969 was the last models branded with the name Steury, this was the year before ChrisCraft bought out the company. Does anyone have any info on this, the value, rarity, know anything about this set up? Thank you for any responses. Much appreciated.

Attachments

• 810FEF22-AE8A-4E2F-800F-6810C6DD31E5.jpeg
    810FEF22-AE8A-4E2F-800F-6810C6DD31E5.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Rare does not mean valuable in the world of boats,....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard.

you will be hard pressed to find information that was printed in 1969 and most likely thrown away in 1970. you wont find much on the internet unless someone saved that printed material, then took the printed material from 1969 and then digitized it, and posted it on the internet after 1992 when the internet was created.

you can look here for some Steury info: http://www.fiberglassics.com/library/index.php?title=Main_Page Steury was around until 1971

as Bondo stated, in the boat market, being rare is not valuable. hundreds of thousands of boats are a one-off as about halve the boat manufacturers in history only made 1 boat and folded.

the only value in a recreation vintage boat is sentimental value assuming you have a sentimental connection, or if you have documented proof of a famous owner (then that may add $100)

Colorado4Wheeler

Seaman Apprentice
I had a 78 Steury bass boat for years, they stopped branding boats Steury (or stopped making them, whichever) in 1980. It was a solid enough boat, but nothing particularly special.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I just picked up a 62 Orlando Clipper, not because I equate old to valuable but rather because I liked the look of the boat and the vintage nature of it. I like having a boat that people look at and think "wow that's an old and/or cool looking boat you don't see these days".

I think there's some fun stuff you can do with an old boat, depending on what kind. Mine is a blank slate, it has cool lines, no real cool features (the dash has a steering wheel and a speedo, that's it), and is aluminum so I can geek it out as I want or restore it to it's original glory (I'm choosing a hybrid of those).

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Having a "rare" vintage boat can be a pain when you stop for gas or at the boat landing people want to tell you about the boat their uncle had or talk about the boat. It gets old.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Having a "rare" vintage boat can be a pain when you stop for gas or at the boat landing people want to tell you about the boat their uncle had or talk about the boat. It gets old.
so Mark, are you wanting a new boat with plastic bits everywhere?

Colorado4Wheeler

Seaman Apprentice
I suppose so, I get that one one of my old trucks now and then, but if I don't have time it's easy enough to blow them off a bit and shorten the conversation. But, otherwise, it doesn't really bother me. I guess if it does I'll wear a shirt that says "don't ask me about my boat, go away!". 😂

dailycraftsman

Recruit
welcome aboard.

you will be hard pressed to find information that was printed in 1969 and most likely thrown away in 1970. you wont find much on the internet unless someone saved that printed material, then took the printed material from 1969 and then digitized it, and posted it on the internet after 1992 when the internet was created.

you can look here for some Steury info: http://www.fiberglassics.com/library/index.php?title=Main_Page Steury was around until 1971

as Bondo stated, in the boat market, being rare is not valuable. hundreds of thousands of boats are a one-off as about halve the boat manufacturers in history only made 1 boat and folded.

the only value in a recreation vintage boat is sentimental value assuming you have a sentimental connection, or if you have documented proof of a famous owner (then that may add $100)
I’ll never sell it. I was curious about value but It’s a project to bring the family out camping on the weekends. Thanks guys appreciate the feedback. I will take before and after pics and post them up here. Thanks again.