1969 Orlando Clipper Repair and Restoration

duwood

Cadet
About the Thread
This thread is to track my progress on the repair and restoration of my recent purchase of a 1969 (or 1968) Orlando Clipper fiberglass 15' (or 16') boat. [From stern to bow not including motor it is 15.5' which is interesting since the person I purchased it from thought it was a 14'.]

Related Threads
I do have a related thread that I started just on the deck repair but will be moving all future posts under this thread. The first thread is located here.

Motor Information
65853 1968 Model Evinrude 65 HP Sportfour (found a thread on here). A picked a nice manual up for the motor off ebay at the suggestion of GT1M. We took the boat for a test drive on the lake where we purchased the boat and it ran great. I'm awaiting my title from SC DNR before I can take it out myself on a lake. In the mean time I've been looking into maintenance on the motor from the manual.

Story of Getting the Boat
I found this boat on Craigslist outside Atlanta GA on a lake. It looked great from the pictures and after talking with the owner we decided to drive down. We are about 150miles away. The owner did mention the boat trailer was on the ramp and they had to remove a good bit of wood from in front of it to get the trailer out for me. They said part of it had been in the water but that they'd repack the bearings on the trailer for me and get some lights. When we got there the first thing I saw was the trailer. It was rough. The lady's boyfriend was working on it and still had to put the lights on. They'd replaced several bolts on it as well. I was a bit worried about it but decided to go on down to the dock and check the boat out. The boat looked really good and so we took it on a test drive. The boat ran well on the lake. We noticed a piece of plywood at the bow and the lady said someone had jumped there and made a small crack. I'll admit I didn't know anything about how boat decks were constructed so I thought the paint was just chipped. I actually thought the whole bottom of a fiberglass boat was solid and what I was looking at was just the top painted part of a thick bottom. We decided to get the boat and got them to drop off the price by $100 to $1100. It was late when we got the boat on the trailer. They gave me two brand new 8" tires and two used ones and mentioned the axle had a bit of a bend in it and that it would probably wear down the tires by the time we got home. We headed out and I stopped by Walmart and purchased some tow straps to help hold the boat on the trailer since it was really on sitting on the rollers and not the wood parts on the sides. We headed out and unfortunately got to Athens GA (60miles away) and the tires were bald and hot. My wife's brother lives in Athens so it was a blessing to be able to stay at his home since it was now 2am. I was out at 8am checking things out and saw the tires were definitely cockeyed inward. I called Northern Tool and headed back an hour to near Atlanta to purchase a new axle and leaf spring kit. I learned a lot about measuring for axles that day-- especially when I got back with the new one to find it wouldn't fit. I spent another 2 hours working with the old axle and was able, with the help of a come along, to get it straight enough to hopefully get home. Nearing completion my brother-in-law's neighbor backed out of their driveway and into the driver side bed of my F-150. Awesome. It was about 9 when we left my brother-in-laws and headed home. I drove about 40mph all the way home and dropped the boat at my parents house at 2am that Monday morning so I could get home and get some sleep before work. The next day I started looking at registering the boat. The lady in GA had never registered it since she was on a private lake. There was a GA sticker on it that expired in May 2011. I called GA Department of Wildlife and they told me it mapped back to another person. I called the lady I purchased from and found out the person it mapped to was who she'd purchased the boat from. He send a bill of sale to her which I was able to send in with my paperwork.

Attachments

• boat2.jpg
    boat2.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1487.jpg
    IMG_1487.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1450.jpg
    IMG_1450.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 1

duwood

Cadet
Re: 1969 Orlando Clipper Repair and Restoration

Motor Photos
Here are some photos of the 1968 Evinrude motor

IMG_1501.jpg

IMG_1499.jpg

IMG_1496.jpg

IMG_1495.jpg

IMG_1494.jpg

If there is a better way to do the pics let me know-- this was the only way I saw on the forum

duwood

Cadet

Deck Repair
So I mentioned in the opening story about the purchase of the boat that there was some deck crack in the bow area. After spending several nights on the forum here I've learned a lot more about boat deck design. Thanks for all the awesome information on here. After some info from oops I decided to use my Dremel tool to cut out part of the fiberglass and gelcoat on the deck to see what was under it. I found rotten plywood beneath it but it seems the wet damaged plywood only goes back a bit and the stringers feel solid and are thickly wrapped in fiberglass. The challenge will be replacing the area of the deck since the dash comes down the meet flush with the floor. There were some angle brackets that connected the dash pieces to the deck and were screwed into the deck plywood through the fiberglass and gelcoat which appears to be where water leaked in and caused the rot. My biggest goal is to keep water out of the hull to keep from future rot happening. I really want to repair it enough to use it this summer then dig deeper into it in the fall and winter if needed. Here are some shots of what I've done so far...I tilted the boat with the bow down so any water would come to the font.

IMG_1490.jpg
IMG_1491.jpg
IMG_1666.jpg
IMG_1668.jpg

duwood

Cadet

Hull Repair-- Gelcoat or Paint?

So the boat had been in the water for about 2 to 2 and a half years straight. It was in a freshwater lake in GA. As you can see from my initial photos the hull was black from being in the water. We've been scrubbing and scrubbing to get it clean. Unfortunately below the black I found a lot of cracks in the gelcoat and some areas where the gelcoat has cracked or flaked off completely especially on the bottom of the hull.

Before I put it back in the water I assume I'll need to do something to this.

Would I sand the gelcoat down, fill in the areas where gelcoat chipped, sand again and prime, then paint? Or do I need to go all the way to the fiberglass and do gelcoat? I'm trying to keep cost down and can invest more in the winter if needed I just want to get out and enjoy the boat this summer.

I really have no idea what I need to purchase ... looking at these paints and this gelcoat.

I'm wanting to go white on the bottom from the hull guard down.

I'm guessing I'll need to build some wood supports to put the boat on when painting or gel coating and then move the boat a bit after it dries to paint under where the braces were supporting the boat?

IMG_0321.jpg

IMG_1454.jpg