1969 Mercury 1000 tower of power

dodge941

Cadet
Just got a new boat for free the other day have been looking for a motor for cheep i found a 1969 Mercury 1000 for $175 its been sitting for about a 8 months ill post a link to it below i want to go pick it up this weekend if you guys think it is worth messing with he says it has super high compression across the board. here a link to it below

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/boa/2897119474.html

chum1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1969 Mercury 1000 tower of power

Ha Ha that looks pretty good and definitely worth 175 bucks in my book, i think the 69 models were red bands and the older ones were silver,get ready to bone up on your wiring skills,the controller will probably need cut back and resoldered, if it runs, the comp is good and there is spark you got yourself a pretty good project, make sure the lower end length fits the transom, if not your still ahead.

dodge941

Cadet

The guy said he redid the wirring already and he said that it idles but when u put it tino gear it stalls to me it sounds like carb problems or lack of fuel what u think

chum1

Petty Officer 1st Class

cant really tell, could be electrical/fuel or timing or combination of all 3. Make sure it has spark and the compression is good, from there it hopefully wont take gobs of money to get it to reliable state, I wouldn't trust the wiring that he did, looks like some homemade wiring harness.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Unless you got a lot of time and and some extra dollars (parts aint cheep for these) pass.......engine dieing with back pressure(in water) is not a good sign.

dodge941

Cadet

He also said he took it to a shop and had them take a look at it and the told him it needed carb work and would cost $500 and he had good compresion in all cylinders and he said it runs good in water but when u put it in gear it stalls out sounds to me like fuel issue maybe fuel pump or calapsed fuel line maybe

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Curious, what does that indicate?
possible low crankcase pressure from worn piston skirts,labyrinth seas worn on reed blocks and engine would still have good compression.

dodge941

Cadet

Well im only looking at these cus the 60hp evenrude that i have for my boat has a blown head gasket and has 30 psi on the top poston and 0 psi on the bottom and idk if i wana spend the money on that or build a tower of power

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Blown head gasket cheaper to replace than building a old 100hp!!!

dodge941

Cadet

yes but when i was messing with it it seized up. now I've got to junk OMC outboards and a chance to get a motor that does start for 175 bucks i was texting him yesterday and he said bring gas and muffs and we can start it up so lets see what happens i did a little research and found a few of these not running for about 600 bucks so this is a good deal i think

mercuk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

possible low crankcase pressure from worn piston skirts,labyrinth seas worn on reed blocks and engine would still have good compression.

IMHO would say it's also possible that the crankcase oil seals are the most suspect. I could be wrong though.

Best case scenario this chap has just got to put a tilt unit on it and rebuild and tune carbs.

Worst case scenario he's gona have to pile some $$$ and time into it trying to find out cause of why it's not running right.

ALSO: one thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is CHECK GEARBOX OIL!! If it comes out blackish colour fine, seals are o.k. IF the oil comes out creamy/white then the seals are shot and that's gona be more time and $$$ to repair.

Just something else to consider and good luck on your decision, what ever it may be....

dodge941

Cadet

so when i go to look at the motor i check=
1#compression
2#wiring
3#corrosion
4#lower crank case oil for creamy/white
what else ? how do i know if the reeds are bad i know its prob got gummed up carbs been sitting for 8 months not running.

CV16

Chief Petty Officer

I would jump all over that motor. I have a 1966 850 that did the same thing.All it needed was a good carb cleaning and a linc and sync, now it runs great. Same thing with my 1973 1500. As always though, not all motors will be like that. I think it's worth a try, here's the best procedure I've found for doing it. If nothing else, the lower unit is worth that much.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=128495

dodge941

Cadet

dang thanks for the link !this motor starts and idles but when put into gear is wants to stall he had it priced and to fix it at the shop was around 500 bucks so i bet its just carbs

CV16

Chief Petty Officer

Even after a good carb rebuild, my 1500 would idle just great and die when put into gear. It was Wayne's linc and sync that finally cured my motor. It's not hard to do at all. Both of my Mercs run like new now. I'd be all over that motor, I hope it's in your garage right now!!! When you have it apart for the carb rebuilds, replace all the gas line too. The old ones won't hold up to the blended gas we use now. A fuel pump rebuild is super easy to do as well. I'd do it all just to be safe. Don't forget the new impeller that every new to you motor should get!

dodge941

Cadet

well I'm probably gonna get it tonight but i just hope all we have been talking about is gonna cure it i mean as long as there is high compression i should be good

BatDaddy1887

Chief Petty Officer

dang thanks for the link !this motor starts and idles but when put into gear is wants to stall he had it priced and to fix it at the shop was around 500 bucks so i bet its just carbs

MAN-O-MAN.......$500 to clean carbs??? Sounds like robbery.......

dodge941

Cadet

ya that what he said and thats why its just sitting now