1969 merc 350 firing problems

P33dy01

Cadet
Ok, I finally got the harness problem figured out. I had to buy a new starter switch for the control box because the one I have didn't match up with the diagram online. The problem is that the new starter switch is kind of a universal switch. on the back of the switch it has two poles labeled M for magneto. So I assume the two wires from the magneto would go on each of those poles for a kill (ground out) when I turn the switch off. Or, one magneto wire on an M pole and the engine ground wire on the other M pole. I would also assume that that would kill one cylinder and work as well. The way I currently have it hooked up is one Magneto wire to each M pole on the back of the switch. I get very little fire from the plugs if any this way. I also have to note that when we hooked up the old switch it put 12 volts to the magneto and smoked a little. We immediately unplugged it and started over from square one which brings me to where I am now. Did I burn something up? or is my switch just hooked up wrong? I would think that the switch would work either way, but not positive about that. I guess that's why I'm here asking. If I did burn something up then what? Coils, Points, Condensers? I'm just tryin to keep this as cheap as possible so I don't wanna go out and purchase something I don't need. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!