1969 Johnson 85 hp amplfier

Thunderbirdone

Seaman
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 22, 2005
Messages
55
Re: 1969 Johnson 85 hp amplfier

On the coil, nothing goes to the top post? I am just using the positive and neg. terminals?
 

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Joined
Sep 24, 2003
Messages
4,446
Re: 1969 Johnson 85 hp amplfier

That is the high tension post to the distibutor, you must use that.
 

Thunderbirdone

Seaman
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 22, 2005
Messages
55
Re: 1969 Johnson 85 hp amplfier

Ok, I think I get it. I dont use the coil that goes to the distriburator. I abandon that one and use automotive coil instead! Is that correct?
 

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Joined
Sep 24, 2003
Messages
4,446
Re: 1969 Johnson 85 hp amplfier

Yes! you use the auto coil. That is a screw-in connector to the dist. cap so you will have to make up a coil lead. You also will have to wire in a condensor across the points, and find a way to mount it. Do you understand that you will have a straight 12 volt breaker ignition system. The amplifier is totally out of the system. You will need a breaker point auto coil with built in resistor, or you will have to use the resistor wire off of your 64.
 

Thunderbirdone

Seaman
Thread starter
Joined
Apr 22, 2005
Messages
55
Re: 1969 Johnson 85 hp amplfier

Ok, I got it. Thanks guys, you been a great help.<br />I will let you know how it goes. Thanks for the pics also prkranger.
 
Top