1969 Johnson 55

CAMLEE

Cadet
I'm looking for a wiring harness for the above mentioned motor. The one on it is shot. I've priced them new at $140.00 and used at $65.00. Any ideas on a cheaper one or anyone have on laying around they'd be willing to sell cheaper. If so let me know! THanks a bunch. :)

CAMLEE

Cadet
Re: 1969 Johnson 55

Also on this same motor Corm has been helping me some of the issues I'm having with it. I've tried a few things to get it started and have turned it over quite a bit. I was wondering how long I should go before recharging the battery, it is a brand new one but like I said i've tried cranking it quite a bit. Thanks

Rex

Chief Petty Officer

UNPLUG YOU TECH. AND SEE IF THAT IT.<br />IT HAPPEN TO ME. :D ;) :)

CAMLEE

Cadet

Hi Rex,<br />I'm very new to boat motors and I'm not sure what the tech is can you explain? Thanks

CAMLEE

Cadet

I don't think I have a tach on it. If I do where is it I'll try anything. :eek:

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Also,have you tried the WD40 trick? Spray a 2 second burst of WD40 into the carb,and try to start it. If it sputters or starts, your problem is fuel related.<br />I tend to think it is electrical tho, if you are in search of a wire harness.<br />The tach (tachometer) will be on the dash if you have one.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Camlee. The tach is the tachometer, a guage on your dash that indicates engine speed in rpm (revolutions per minute). It gets its input from the ignition/charging system. Rex is suggesting that it can cause your problem.<br /><br />Try the WD-40 test that 12Footer suggests.<br /><br />I am sure Corm has been very helpful, he always is, but the rest of us are a little in the dark as to what has gone on so far and can be a lot more helpful if you can bring us up to date.<br /><br />Why are you seeking a wiring harness? Is it a "maybe this will get it running" move, or have you determined that something is definitely wrong that cannot be fixed without replacing the harness? Do you need the engine harness or the control harness?<br /><br />Bring us up to date and we can probably help, too.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

CAMLEE

Cadet

Ok I will bring ya up to speed on the problem. 1969 55 Johnson 3cyl. Dad gave me the boat and motor I'm trying to get the motor running(the most important part)It sat for 2 years before my dad got it and then sat another 6mos. I started by buying a starter for it(gear was missing on old one and turns out the starter was bad too). Bought spark plugs battery and fuel line/gas tank. Tried to crank it would turn over but not fire. Checked fuel lines (internal) found the fuel connector on motor was clogged. Now the carbs get gas leaks out a little while cranking. Took spark plug out and grounded it to the engine block tried starting and didn't see any spark. This is when corm got involved. He had me check the points so I regapped them(they were not bad)and also checked the spring the prevents the motor from spinning backwards. While cranking before this I would sometimes get a spark while turning off the motor and also a backfire every now and again. Has not happened since I adjusted that spring.(backfire)I also noticed that after trying to crank the motor the neg battery line was getting very hot! So that's where I am now. Also the wiring harness( all the wires that run to the motor)is very shotty bare wire showing in several places(I've taped the spots with black tape). That's why I wanted another one. So that's my story hope it's not too boring and I hope to get this thing running before the snow falls. I'm very new to these boat motors so treat me like an idiot when explaining things. Thanks for everything. :D

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Gas comming out of the overflow means the float needle valve inside the carb is sticking, or the float is not comming up to shut fuel supply off once the bowl is full.

CAMLEE

Cadet

How would I solve this problem and what does the float needle look like?

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

The float needle valve,sometimes called simply a float needle,is inside the carb.<br />it is a samll,metal,pencil-shaped thing,that is inside a tube,under the float,by the hinge end of the float.<br />To get at it, you must remove the carb,and then, remove the bowl.<br />The float is usually held-in at the hinge, by a pin. A small nail,and a pair of needle nose pliers will remove it. Be careful not to bend the tab on the float, or the pin itself, as this will throw the fuel level inside the bowl out of whack. It can be re-adjusted, but it can be a pain sometimes to get it just right.<br />Anyway, once you have the float out of the way,the needle SHOULD fall-out of the tube,(allong with a spring on some carbs).<br />Use a good spray carb cleaner to clean this needle spotless. It will look clean,but will actually have a coating of vatnish on it. Use care at the tip of the needle. some have rubber tips,and you dont want to desolve it with carb cleaner. Also, clean the tube it came out of as good as you can with plenty of carb cleaner. Re-assemble the carb, cleaning everything you can get to. Shoot cleaner thru every part of the carb you can get to,even removing the idle mixture screw,and squirting it thru. Be carefull tho,as the cleaner can turn on you,and it can do some severe eye damage.<br />Good luck. It's not as hard as it sounds,really.

CAMLEE

Cadet

Thanks 12footer<br />I will try what you said and I'll go ahead and clean all three of the carbs. Would this be the reason for no spark or just an issue that needs to be taken care of for the motor to idle or fire up? I still need to find that motor wire harness I think this may also be a big part of the problem. I also noticed this am that the main red wire that comes from the battery and bolts to ? is loose I will tighten this but was wondering if this would prevent it from sparking? :confused:

CAMLEE

Cadet

It's getting cold here in NH and I'd like to also know what to do to winterize It's still not running but why make matters worse next year....

CAMLEE

Cadet

Working on getting a used harness will let everyone know if it helps. Hope by the end of the week. Called another place they said they could get me a new one for $295.00 I don't think I'll be purchasing from them anytime soon...lol.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

No, the carbs have nothing to do with the ignition. It does have something to do with the carbs exppelling fuel.<br />WD40 test will tell you where to concentrate your troubleshooting. If it sputters or starts briefly,then you have a problem in the fuel system. If it doesn't sputter, it will probably be an electrical problem.

CAMLEE

Cadet

Thank you that's what I thought but wanted to make sure. Tried the wd40 test and got nothing. So I guess I'm looking at electrical, I turned the key on today and tried it a few times I noticed that if I turned the key on and listened to the powerpack it is making a tick tick tick noise. I'm not sure if this is normal. The powerpack is fairly new from the looks of it. It's Sierra brand and the looks brand new.