1968 Slickcraft 19 foot Just Purchased!

core plugs dont just come out. usually the block cracks along the way.

the term freeze plug is erroneous. they are for sealing the core holes to get core sand out of the block casting.
As a former Automotive mechanic for 20 plus years, I am very familiar with the freeze plugs and their purpose. I do thank you for your information. I did get her out on the water a few times for test runs, both salt and fresh water. No over heating, no oil water mixture going on.

Alright my friends, Updates as of today, May 2nd 2023.
I ended up pulling out the old tank once again. I was concerned that the tank sealer did not take. lol well I was wrong, in fact it worked perfect. But to be on the safe side I ordered up a new 25 gallon fuel cell for her. I have also gone as far as to install 2 new exhaust blowers. The timing tang was rotted to the point that I could not read it. I installed the new Chevy bolt on point marker and put her back in time just before I put her away last year. I will be ordering a new set of seats for her after I receive the fuel cell.

New fuel cell, new seats 2023

Attachments

• 20230506_195850.jpg
    20230506_195850.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
  • 20230508_053846.jpg
    20230508_053846.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 7
  • 20230505_174437.jpg
    20230505_174437.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 7

airshot

Rear Admiral
It always amazes me how people can tell the boat has rot from a picture. Its been my experience you need to be able to see, touch and smell... I think the boat looks like it will be a fun project for $700. Once you get it running as it should I bet it will be a real runner and sound great with the through hull exhaust keep us posted.
Not really, having been around boats for well over 60 years, a short info story and a couple good pics will show rot about 90-95% of the time has been my experience, haven't missed one yet !! I realized how easy it is for a glass boat to deteriorate once I owned one back in 1967. Never owned another, but have gone on numerous boat inspections for friends and others. Usually spot the signs of rot in the driveway before reaching the boat itself. Just experience and history, is really all it takes.

Good day to every one, May14-2023
I took the little lady out on Lake Washington today. First time for this year.
I have to get the bulbs for the lights, and a new set of exhaust gaskets.
Need to do a oil change and track down a set of the proper points for the distributor.
New Fuel tank and fuel lines are working great.
I am posting a link below for todays video run on Lake Washington in Seattle.
Enjoy the video
https://www.tiktok.com/video/7233073198907002158

Attachments

• 2022-08-21-170431589.mp4
    6.9 MB · Views: 0

airshot

Rear Admiral
Great, does your puppy enjoy the boat?? Keep us posted as you get her up and runnin !!

Hi, o
Great, does your puppy enjoy the boat?? Keep us posted as you get her up and runnin !!
h yes she loves being on the boat, I have 19 foot bayliner as well and she is truly a boating dog. She go's nuts if I slow the boat down

So iI was able to get in contact with a few people that live in the area that I got this Slickcraft from. It was interesting hearing the stories on this boat. Primarily that she spent more time on a trailer in a few different garages then she spent in the water. And when she was in the water it would be for the day and then put right back in the garage the same day. One of the guys said the longest that he had scene her in the water was for 5 hours. Nice to know that I am not dealing with a salted pickle!

airshot

Rear Admiral
She has had water in it, you can see it on the wood in the fuel tank pictures. Anyway, hope you stay lucky with it.

Yep , you are correct on the wood, The seat frames were dry rottedas well as the aft cover panels. I love hearing the old timers throw dry rot around like it is a daily issue.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Yep , you are correct on the wood, The seat frames were dry rottedas well as the aft cover panels. I love hearing the old timers throw dry rot around like it is a daily issue.
For people getting older fiberglass boats to fix up, it normally is. The deeper they get into it, the worse it gets!

Loving this old boat, I took her back out on Lake Washington 2 weeks ago.
The original motor ran so smooth. Fresh oil change, new spark plugs, The new fuel tank held in place, and the new seats are a perfect fit. Being as I am a water/boat bug I added a bimi top last week. More pic and vids to come