1968 Merc 1000SS questions

TheOutboardKid

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all, I am looking into buying a ‘68 Merc 1000SS that is for sale near me.

It has been sitting for a few years, but it is in beautiful condition and was put into storage correctly. (engine was fogged, carbs drained, cooling flushed). It is in very very good condition, everything seems very clean and well kept.

I am going to the sellers house in two days with a compression tester, but until then, what do I need to know about this engine? What do I need to look out for? Are parts available?

Thank you

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Parts are available.----But you have to know where to look / search.------It will need a new water pump impeller ( very common part ) and every repair shop should have it in stock.-----Part # ends with 47-****84.------Driveshaft may be carbon steel and will require inspection.------A great motor but you will likely need to work on it yourself.

TheOutboardKid

Seaman Apprentice
Parts are available.----But you have to know where to look / search.------It will need a new water pump impeller ( very common part ) and every repair shop should have it in stock.-----Part # ends with 47-****84.------Driveshaft may be carbon steel and will require inspection.------A great motor but you will likely need to work on it yourself.
I assumed I’d need to replace the water pump and spark plugs, and rebuild the carbs, but what about the driveshaft? Why would it require inspection?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Simple.----If it is rusted pitted where the oil seals are you might get water in the gear oil.-----Water might freeze in cold climates.----Gear box might go ----Boom ---on you.

TheOutboardKid

Seaman Apprentice
Simple.----If it is rusted pitted where the oil seals are you might get water in the gear oil.-----Water might freeze in cold climates.----Gear box might go ----Boom ---on you.
Okay, is there a way to check on the driveshaft without taking off the lower unit? I’ll make sure to check the gear lube when I see the engine, but that’s not the driveshaft.