1968 Evinrude 65 HP 3 Cylinder, runs 5 min., Shut Down,No spark, 10 Mins. Restart

spotbuddy

Recruit
I have this 1968 (I think it is, no model number I can find, the mounting bracket has been replace and there is no numbers I can find.) 65 HP 3 Cylinder. It cranks good and easy, run it about 3/4 throttle for about 5 Minutes and it shuts down. No Spark. Wait about 10 Minutes, depending on the ambient temperature, and it restarts and runs good again for 5 minutes or so, shuts down. :mad::noidea:

Can someone tell me the steps to follow in the search for the culprit causing this. Like, how to check the"Power Pack", Coil(s), Magneto, etc. :confused:

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. :joyous:

Thanks and Have a Great Day,
Spot

Will Bark

Lieutenant
Re: 1968 Evinrude 65 HP 3 Cylinder, runs 5 min., Shut Down,No spark, 10 Mins. Restart

Others will chime in but the shutting down after running and warming up points to the power pack as it did on my 25hp Johhny. But wait for the gurus to chime in with specfics. Good luck

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Re: 1968 Evinrude 65 HP 3 Cylinder, runs 5 min., Shut Down,No spark, 10 Mins. Restart

Exact same thing happened to my 55 and it was the power pack.

spotbuddy

Recruit

Thanks guys.

I was thinking along the line of the power pack.:joyous:

Anyone know the steps to confirm it. Which wire to check? Will a multi-meter do the job?

I see it has 4 wires coming out of it, (looks like 4 anyway, so tightly compacted), not sure what each one does and which one will do what.

Will I have to let it heat up and shut down before testing it? Or is there some way to test it cold?

shanebeggs

Recruit

Did you ever find a solution to this? My Johnson 85hp is doing exactly the same thing!!