1968 9.5HP Where is this water comingfrom? W/PIC

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1968 9.5HP Where is this water comingfrom? W/PIC

The "rocking back and forth" is not normal. Sounds like there are some missing bolts that would hold the pwerhead in place. Under the pwerhead, there is a gasket and seals that are very important and need to be in there.

Wishiniwuzfishin

Chief Petty Officer

water.....

Attachments

• HPIM0768.JPG
    HPIM0768.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Is the engine overheating? I wounder if the exhaust hose from the powerhead to the cowling is leaking on the bottom side. Is the escaping water warm or cold? Use a flashlight and look down from the top around the covers and see if you can see a leak. Broken motor mounts will let the engine flop around in the cowling.

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander

The water tube leading up from the impeller to the powerhead is most likley disconnected or broken off. You will need to remove the lower unit and take a look up inside the exhaust housing. There is also a rubber grommet at the impeller that may be leaking water and also a grommet half way up the tubing going to the powerhead that may be leaking.

Wishiniwuzfishin

Chief Petty Officer

water...

Attachments

• HPIM0773.JPG
    HPIM0773.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 0
  • HPIM0771.JPG
    HPIM0771.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 0
  • HPIM0772.JPG
    HPIM0772.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

ultra353

Petty Officer 1st Class

Its completely normal for the water to be coming out there. There are drain holes in the exh housing for the water that gets in the housing to exit. If you can move the powerhead back and forth more than 1/2 inch than you most likely have the common broken front motor mount

F_R

Supreme Mariner

NUTS and Phooey!!!

#1, that water is coming from two big drain holes in the exhaust housing. It originates from the water pump, coming out through the hole that the drive shaft goes through. It is absolutely normal!!! However, if the pump housing is badly worn, it will leak more. If those drain holes weren't there, the water would go up the drive shaft tube and damage the powerhead.

#2. If you can grab the flywheel and move the powerhead fore and aft more than just a rubbery feel, the upper front motor mount is broken. That was a very common problem with the 9.5 motors. It is a major job to replace it for a pro, and very intimidating for a novice. I've replaced so many of them that I almost could do it blindfolded. I was a dealer mechanic, servicing a fish camp full of them.

Attachments

• 9.5 Exhaust leak 2.jpg
    9.5 Exhaust leak 2.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 0

Wishiniwuzfishin

Chief Petty Officer

water....

Attachments

• HPIM0774.JPG
    HPIM0774.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Yes, my picture is the exhaust housing, inside the outer "shell". You can see the bottom end of it extending below the shell, where your picture shows the water running out.

A normal powerhead will have a cushioned feel, but not flopping around loose in there. A broken mount will allow the powerhead to flop fore and aft a good half inch or more.