1968 22' Starcraft Chieftain

ncor33

Cadet
I am taking possession of a 1968 22' chieftain. Looking to restore/modify to use for overnight camping/fishing/surfing trips with my son. The boat is in decent structural shape, but power/propulsion will need to be replaced and upgraded.

In the interest of simplicity, I'd like to replace the motor with a newer EFI model, basically from the motor to the outdrive.

What power and drive would I be looking at to drop in and utilize the space and transom as is? Or am I looking at a new transom regardless?

My back up option is the transom replacement, and and outboard on a bracket, but that's quite a bit more coin and time.

Thanks!

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Is it a "bubble" window chieftain?

If you live where freezing temperatures are not a concern I think replacing the engine and outdrive (if necessary) would be the way to go. The inboard guys will be here to give you advice soon. What is the current power and outdrive?

Furrylittleotter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Post some photos, your location, time frame and possible budget for more information. Right off the bat I'd say an outboard bracket would be a helluva lot faster, so I think you are wrong on time there. That could be done in a weekend.

What do freezing temps have to do with it? If you ain't got sense enough to install a heat exchanger and run antifreeze or drain and flush your block at end of season you shouldnt leave land for any reason. Boating is not for you if that's the case.

Neil

dozerII

Admiral
The 68 drive system is getting hard to find parts for and really not worth your time and money. Mercruiser has move up in a series of techno changes, IE models MC, R, Alpha, Alpha1, Bravo and so on. To change to any one of these upgrade usually take complete swap from front pulley to prop nut. Most will buy a donor boat with the desired set up in it so you can transfer every nut bolt and wire to yours.

ncor33

Cadet
No Title

I live in the Pismo Beach area. Not in any rush, looking to have a second boat for overnighting, and a project to do with my son. I attached some pics. Budget is fluid, but cheaper is always better. I think if I can use the existing transom and space, a new motor and drive will be way cheaper than a new transom, bracket and OB.

Attachments

• photo266909.JPG
    photo266909.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 7
  • photo266910.JPG
    photo266910.JPG
    176 KB · Views: 26
  • photo266911.JPG
    photo266911.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 7

ncor33

Cadet
The 68 drive system is getting hard to find parts for and really not worth your time and money. Mercruiser has move up in a series of techno changes, IE models MC, R, Alpha, Alpha1, Bravo and so on. To change to any one of these upgrade usually take complete swap from front pulley to prop nut. Most will buy a donor boat with the desired set up in it so you can transfer every nut bolt and wire to yours.

That's what I was thinking and I am ok with that, assuming I can find something to just drop im. Any idea of a specific fuel injected motor and drive that would fit as it sits?

Furrylittleotter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Cool boat. Some thoughts: you mentioned it would be a second boat. What is the other boat? That trailer is not going to like saltwater, not even a little bit. There are f.i. Motors out there but some mercruisers used carbs very late, like my 2005. I hear not much difference in fuel efficiency and a good carb is very reliable. One thing about inboard/outboards is they don't kick up if you hit something. Pismo is an awesome area for snorkeling/ diving, inlets, tide pools, etc, but the rocks would destroy this hull if you get too close. So, factoring in a complete drivetrain, overhaul, and trailer replacement you would have a boat that I would consider a nice fishing, camping or freshwater boat but personally I'd be very concerned anywhere near shore with all those rocks. any of a number of drivetrain swaps would work, inboard/outboard, outboard. Just look for a bargain. I'd say 150hp would be a minimum if you want to get on plane.

Neil

ncor33

Cadet
My other boat is a SeaFox 226 Commander.

EFI vs Carb, I just like my boat motors to run like my car :)

If I can find a good deal, I will, I just would love some examples of a motor/drive combo that would be a bolt on and go deal. I have no experience with I/O, or how to tell what will fit, sizes, etc...is there a motor size, a bolt pattern or something I am looking for, so I can price check?

I will be using the boat in salt, around the channel islands and point conception area. Nowhere near shore, that's for sure! Sleeping on the hook in protected coves,, surfing during the day. My other boat is my fishing/diving/day trip boat for sure.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
:welcome: to the Starmada ncor,

Nice Chief you have and some lofty goals to repower her. EFI motors will be in newer boats and be very expensive to purchase a donor boat that has everything needed and is ready to go. I would suggest at least a 4.3L V6 for that boat or even 5.7L wouldn't be too much.

With your transom replaced and the old aluminum skin reshaped a newer Alpha One Gen 2 would work, it's just not drop in as the keyhole shape is slightly different and 2 bolt holes for the assembly have to be moved to accommodate the newer style. If that's the original transom wood I wouldn't even consider not replacing it. Also there are some issues with IO hulls of that era not having factory installed braces that go from the bottom of the hull to the sides which isolate the spray rail chine that has issues with cracking. Then there's the rib ends that can crack too as some of us have experienced.

We'll be here for you when you need us through the ton of work you have ahead of you, it took me over a year to complete my Chief and I repowered to a Alpha One 4.3L LX with carb, it starts instantly and runs great.

Yours is really nice Chief that will serve you well once restored.

fetch