1967 merc 9.8

Harker

Chief Petty Officer
I wonder if I pulled a real boner..I was having a lot of yellowish colored oil dripping out of the prop area and figured it was unburned gas/oil. I changed the lower unit oil the other day and it was very dark gray/black so I don't think water was in there...but...I pumped the oil in, put the screw back into the upper hole and ..don't know why..gave it another pump of juice. I think I may have popped some seals. Do you think I can pull the lower and push them back down?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1967 merc 9.8

Easy enough to check the propshaft seal. Pull the prop and see if the seal is still in the bearing carrier. If it ain't, pop it back in. Better yet, pop a new one in. If you're going to go after the driveshaft or shiftshaft seals, you have to pull the gearcase. It's held on with two locknuts. It goes back on a lot harder than it comes off. Plan on rebuilding the water pump as long as it's off.

Laddies

Banned

Harker, you should be able to push them in but while it down you might just go to NAPA and get the seals they are quite inexpencive there

Harker

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks...I just put a new waterpump on it at the beginning of summer so I remember what a bear it was getting the shift shaft to line up. The propshaft seal doesn't look like it's pushed out but new oil is leaking between the exaust housing and lower unit..guess I pop it off and see what I done.

Harker

Chief Petty Officer

I took the lower off and it had fresh gear oil coming up inside the water pump housing. Took the pump all apart and took the seals out. Laddie, the napa store in town says they don't have boat parts..I'm thinking they have these seals but they call them something else..the guy isn't real helpful. I tried their on line catalog to see if I could find napa part numbers for them and maybe cross index them. Wish we had a merc dealer close by!

Motor Boater Bill

Chief Petty Officer

Apparently, in some places, Napa stocks Sierra marine parts, I think that's what Laddies is referring to (please correct me if that's not right). Not here in Kentucky. They can order them but they will add shipping charges, and by that time I can order them online. You can get Merc parts from Grubbs at oldmercs.com and also excellent information about your motor, parts list, service manual. Or you can get Sierra parts from lots of online sources, probably some of the parts available at iBoats also. Good luck--110's are sweet motors.

Laddies

Banned

Bill, here in Michigan they are available at NAPA CarQuist, Parts Plus and most auto parts stories if you can find a counterman the can read and will look in the part manuals (sad isn't it) Yes they are Sierra parts and numbers if the look up the numbers they can ussally cross them in their computers if they know how:% The prop shaft seal number is 18-0515 I belive and the w/pump is 18-0516 if that don't work they should be able to get them by size. Wonder what is the matter with America it's the lazy work ethics and it carrys over in ever part of our life style---Bob

Motor Boater Bill

Chief Petty Officer

I hear you, Bob--I often want to tell the guy at the parts counter to move over and let me at the computer! Of course, they try to bulletproof the systems so the counter kids can't screw up the computers, but that also makes it hard for them to do anything other than follow the line of least resistance and give you the standard order parts--makes it hard to buy a seal or a bearing by specs. Seems like the parts houses are getting too much like WalMart--just not enough grease on the floor! The really good parts houses, you couldn't even SEE the floor!

Anyway, Harker, you should be able to get what you need online if you can't find it local. Good luck and keep us posted.

Harker

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks, getting them from BAM on line...shipping was more than the parts...but to get the 3 seals and o-ring it was cheaper than the whole lower seal kit. The water will probably be too hard to test it out by the time I get them and get it back together. Duck season went out yesterday...now that the ducks are here. Thanks for the help.