1967 Johnson 33 hp

Daddypleo

Seaman
I had a problem with my motor not starting so I opened the hood to look for a neutral safety switch. Then I noticed that the shifter wouldn't go into reverse. At the top of the shift lever there is a spring and a disc under the flywheel that moves. I moved it back about a half inch and the motor started right up and ran very well. So I experimented with it and moved it back a half inch and it wouldn't start again. I moved it back once again and it started and ran great. Is there a screw that is supposed to be in there to hold this disc in place or do I have other problems? In other words, is this disc (I'm assuming its a throttle advance device or an armature plate ) supposed to move at all? If so how do I keep it from killing the engine?:(

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: 1967 Johnson 33 hp

I think that you are looking at the magneto plate, and yes it is supposed to move as the throttle mechanism is advanced. If it is rotated all of the way clockwise the engine may die. Does it rotate as the throttle moves?

kfa4303

Banned

Tx is right. The magneto plate should rotate CCW when you twist on the throttle while the flywheel rotates CW to advance the timing of the engine and raise the rpms. You may also need to perform a lync-n-sync to coordinate the rotation of the magneto plate and the opening of the butterfly valve in the carb. Do a search here in the forms under "lync-n-sync" and you see what you need to do. It's not too hard.

Just another thought, even though you've replaced the ignition components you may want to double check them. I think you may be dropping a cylinder. Perhaps a wire is frayed or one of the spark plug wires wiggled loose from the coil. If you don't want to do all that. Try disconnecting the the spark plugs one at a time while the motor is running. If you can disconnect one and nothing changes, then you've been running on one cylinder. It's a quick, dirty way to test the ignition without having to pull of the flywheel.

This may help too:

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/04/s/columns/max/24/index.cfm

Daddypleo

Seaman

Thanks guys. All is appreciated!

My only other question is what is supposed to keep the magneto plate from moving to the kill position? This engine purrs like a kitten and all works well but when I'm on the water at WOT after about 5 minutes it just dies like the key has been turned off.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Does it die like it's running out of gas? When it starts to die, see if it stays alive by pumping the primer bulb. And make sure the tank vent is open.

Rico1

Recruit

I have a 2.5 hp johnson. Not sure the year. It was a gift because it was seized up. I know next to nothing about engines but I'm learning as I work through it. I got the engine freed up. But, I can't get the throttle working. There seems to be a disc similar to what Daddypleo is describing mounted below the flywheel that has an angled lever of sorts mounted underneath it that looks like it activates the throttle when the disc rotates, but its frozen in place. Its seems to be plastic around the edges but metal in the center. If I'm understanding it correctly, I think it should turn about two inches or so? I think I need to figure out how to break it loose without breaking it. Can anyone offer any suggestion? Thanks,