1967 Chris craft constellation 48' w/ gas engines.

Stokes81

Cadet
Wasn't sure who to ask so I thought I would start here.. I have a 1967 Chris craft that was restored 6 years ago. I'm trying to find some info regarding the understructure (keel /ribs/ planks) and if there is a repository of drawings or specs in regards to that construction. I'm designing / building a retractable swim platform for it and it would help if I could create a 3d model in order to aid with the design. I don't want to rely solely on the transom planks to hold the weight of the platform and tender that will be on it..for obvious reasons. Any help would be much appreciated guys.

Stokes81

Cadet
Here's my boat..in case anyone was curious

Attachments

• photo337399.jpg
    photo337399.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
what you are asking for probably never existed even at Chris Craft. Even today, the "drawings" of structure at Chris Craft is not that accurate. they have a Rhino model of the exterior of the hull because that is what the Naval Architect uses for making the sweeping lines, then the molds and plugs are made. the rest of the stuff is fitted by hand.

you will need to get into the aft structure of the boat and do it the old fashion way...... with a tape measure

I can tell you that unless you add structure to the transom, adding a swim platform will put a lot of stress on it that was not ever intended to be on the transom. and the transom will fail.

We see that all the time when designing transom lifts at work. if the boat was not prep'd for a swim platform or transom lift when the hull was laid, there is a lot of re-construction that must be done.

for example, the transom on a Hatteras 80 without a swim platform is 2" thick. if its prep'd for a transom lift, there is heavy aluminum plates embedded in the transom, extra kick braces and the transom becomes about 4-1/2" thick

tpenfield

Staff member
There is a thread of a 1967 CC Constellation 48 over on www.boatdesign.net . . . Not a ton of pictures or drawings, but you could always check that out. When I Google, I also see a thread of a '45 restoration which should be similar to a 48'.

Wood plank hull . . . right?

As far as a platform off the transom, you can certainly design something with brackets or struts underneath that can handle the load and add some support inside the hull where needed. A wood hull might be stronger than fiberglass in that regard.

Post up some sketches of what you are thinking of doing :thumb:

Ned L

Commander
Have you contacted the Mariner’s Museum in Newport News Va? They have all the build records for the original Chris Craft Corp. (of which your boat is one). I don’t know if they have the actual plans If any exist any longer (which would have existed for your wooden boat)
You are smart to consider reinforcing the transom. Like the sides of the boat, Chris transom were batten seam construction. Strong, but light.

it looks like you maintain her very nicely, good for you. I can appreciate the care you give her.