1967 9.8 air?

Harker

Chief Petty Officer
I was going to ask this last summer, when I have the hood off my 67 9.8, it seems to be WAY more potent than when the hood is on. Higher top speed, quicker acceleration, idles better. The exaust gasket isn't leaking so it isn't smoking itself out with the hood on. Is there a way to get some more air into the cover without risking water intrusion on duck days? The insulation inside the cover is in excellent shape and I see no where, other than a few small entry holes in the shroud where the motor can get air. Thanks for any ideas.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral
Re: 1967 9.8 air?

Check the lower pan for air intakes?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

I believe the air intake is in the hand grip on the back top of the hood. Sometimes wasps make their nests there.

Harker

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the responses. Willy, you were correct, there is a slot in the recess at the hood handle. I took the piece out but it was clean as a whistle..so I swiss cheesed it with a 3/16" drill bit. I also took off the front Kielkaufer (sp?) chrome piece and put a couple 1/2" holes next to the "donut" that is the front hood mount so air can be straight in front of the carb.Now all I need is the ice to blow off the lake so I can give it a whirl. Thanks again for the help.