1966 model 18602 18hp eventude

Retired fisher

Recruit
I have a question regarding a 18 hp 1966 model 18602 evenrude.
How much clearance will the spaghetti seal be good for.
I picked up this motor for 0 $ and have about 125.$ in it.
The power head is done I took the gear case apart to change the propeller seal and noticed a of brown sticky looking sealer in addition to the spaghetti seal.
I cleaned both halves and assembled them without the gears and checked for any clearance between the two pieces and found.009 and.010 openings in the area of the middle screws on both sides.
Anyone have any thoughts before I put any more time and $ into it
Thanks

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
likely 847 goo

seems my last spaghetti seal was .103 dia. a bit thicker than the norm but is did the job. I used aviation type sealer with it on my 5.5 CD refurb.

if you have $125 in it ... keep going spag seal won't set you back much. no choice anyway

if you found no water or rusting the regular spag should work with Permatex aviation sealer (cheaper than 847)

Last edited:

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
That case has been apart before, as OMC used a Hardening Sealer along with the Spaghetti Seal from the Factory. Sealer 1000 was that type of Sealer, but that was back in the 60s
The sticky Brown stuff is pretty much the Same Stuff and Edelbrock's 'Gask-a-Cinch', or Mercury Perfect Seal.

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Use a file ( lightly ) to check for any bumps on the surfaces.----In over 50 years I have never checked this.----Done more than one of these !

Retired fisher

Recruit
likely 847 goo

seems my last spaghetti seal was .103 dia. a bit thicker than the norm but is did the job. I used aviation type sealer with it on my 5.5 CD refurb.

if you have $125 in it ... keep going spag seal won't set you back much. no choice anyway

if you found no water or rusting the regular spag should work with Permatex aviation sealer (cheaper than 847)
Where do I find aviation sealer?