1966 MFG Niagara transom / engine choice help needed

I was going to post this in the engine forum but its more related to my MFG boat and what type of engine others are using, not really a repair question so I thought Id try here first!

I'm getting ready to buy a new engine for my Niagara ~

http://forums.iboats.com/boat-topic...le-niagra-custom-help-619953.html#post4318829

The transom measures right around 17?, I?m assuming I need a short shaft outboard for it but want to be 100% sure before I invest in one and have issues when its time to finally get her in the water! I have an opportunity to buy a great engine today but it?s a 20? long shaft? I think I already know the correct answer but would like an actual MFG owner to chime in with what they are running!

The 40 HP vintage 1959 West Bend Golden Shark that came with my boat would probably be fine with a rebuild but Id really rather put something newer and lighter on it. Any info, links or suggestions would be great! I'm sea casting the transom and plan on running at least a 40HP. The boat is rated by the decal on the transom to 50HP but If I come across a 60HP Ill risk it! I plan on using the boat locally on the river and taking it to Lake Anna in VA and Raystown Lake in PA, using it to fish, and pulling my son on a tube or skis when the time comes. Anyway, Thanks again, Matt

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: 1966 MFG Niagara transom / engine choice help needed

A 20" shaft will perform fine on the MFG Niagara hull. Many people here have used a newer 40 hp with a 20" shaft w/o complaints.

Take a look at Mark42 another iboats member http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/projectTut,p,27,00.html

Last edited:

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Actually the West Bend is likely lighter than any newer motor you find.As time progressed and more features were added weight tends to go up. The good news is as the motors get newer they produce more power on slightly less fuel.
Around 1985 motors began being rated at the prop.
Your certainly better off with a newer motor as parts should be more readily available.
If you measure the West Bend it will very likely measure about 17" as a short shaft motor.
As an example my 65 Short shaft Merc 500 measures 17" Transom on my 57 18 ft Crestliner Bucaneer utility is 15".
The motor is raised an inch on the transom and of course the anti vent(cavitation) plate is 1 inch below the bottom.
It has been like that since day one though I don't know if they tried anything higher because that would have required
some sort of transom alteration.I have a Martin 7.5 short shaft that is 17" and a Gale 5 hp that is 18".
So we have a big boat with a 15"(short) transom and 3 motors at least 2" longer.
I would say its safe to assume a short shaft motor is "about" 17".Intended for a short transom.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I don't find the Niagara listed in 66 catalog. In 65 it is listed at 14'4" with a "long" transom or long shaft motor. no dimension given.
Your 17" transom seems to indicate a different model or perhaps year. Especially as a Long shaft motor is very likely to be actually over 20"
Putting the anti vent plate as much as 5" below your 17' transom.

Last edited:

I went ahead and bought the outboard today since it was for sale locally, it’s a low hour late 90s 40HP Evinrude with controls etc. I figured I could try it, try to convert it to a short shaft or worst case sell / trade it on if it doesn’t work out! I’m not sure why my Niagara isn’t showing up, I was told it’s a 66 but it could be older or newer, the pictures from the day I brought it home are here:

http://forums.iboats.com/boat-topics...ml#post4318829

Thanks for the input, I just listed the old Golden Shark, my wife will be taking our son out on the boat alone so It has to be reliable and safe so either way I wanted a more modern engine, though I guess if I could get a full seal kit, carb kits and rewire the old 40 would probably be fine!

I just re-read these docutments today, looks like MFG calls my transom a "long"...

http://www.fiberglassics.com/wiki/images/6/65/MFGbb003.jpg

File:Mfgb65011.jpg - Classic Boat Library

and this ad shows my boat, says it takes a 20", I measured the Evinrude, with a 3' level under the plate it measures right at 20" to the top of the clamp that would normally rest on the top of the transom so I might be 100% good to go, if not since the transom needs some attention prior to mounting the new engine and steering kit I could reinforce it and use a jackplate... fingers crossed!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I would NOT put a jackplate on that boat. The additional setback will make you change the steering and it will also change the leverage forces on your transom. It will create massive headaches and damage for you. You will be more than happy with a late 90's 40 hp and that boat will handle great.

Last edited: