1966 Johnson 80HP No Spark

kellyj

Cadet
I've aquired a 1966 V4S 80HP Johnson outboard motor that has no spark. I have cleaned the points and checked the plugs. I reset the point for .020 because they were off a bit but can't seem to get any spark on the output of the distributor. Can anybody give me a walk through of the wiring system and what to check ? Also there is a switch just to the right of the case where the points are that has a white wire attached to it. When I crank over the starter I have voltage on this switch . .what is this for?? Does it have something to do with the timing?? I have pics I can send if anyone can give me a quick walk through.

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1966 Johnson 80HP No Spark

I have a 60 horse and it sounds identical to yours. i couldnt get spark either. mine was wired very strange by automotive standards which i am a mechanic of 18 years. it seems they ran power to the points and coil together which both are grounded. in cars you run the positive to the coil then the negative wire from the coil you run to the points and they switch the coil creating the spark. I burned up the coil trying to figure out what was wrong and a new one is $140 so i used an automotive coil mounted outside the distributer and ran a plug wire thru a vent hole in the cap to the spring in it. this works great and throws a 1 inch spark now. just run the black wire to the pos of the coil then unground the other coil wire and run that to the points.