1966 Evinrude Fisherman 6 hp - Rebuilt carb - Still runs terrible!

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1966 Evinrude Fisherman 6 hp - Rebuilt carb - Still runs terrible!

What kind of fuel tank are you using? Is it vented properly??? I remember I had a metal Evinrude tank and the vent was screwed up so it ran like crap. I know you had gas on the plugs, am still trying to offer some options maybe not looked at. Also what mix ratio are you using?

BOAH

Petty Officer 1st Class

Both plugs are soaked. Maybe the lower one is worse. Hard to tell. The gas is 50:1 from a tank off of my other boat. All connections on the tank were replaced last year. I have checked the vent and it's definitely open. I can pull the carb again and take a closer look and take a look at the reed valves at the same time.

One thing I haven't looked at is the fuel pump. Is it possible that it's pumping too much somehow? Is that even a possibility?

levi_tsk

Ensign

its possible that the diaphram is busted and is leaking fuel into the cylinder that its feeding off of but not both cylinders but its woth the 15 bux to go ahead and rebuild it ....

heres something that you can try: take the carb off and drain ALL the fuel out get a piece of clean fuel hose and hook it up to the inlet barb on the carb now blow through the hose into the carb with it right side up (it should blow ) then turn it upside down and blow through it again it (shouldnt blow) and if it does your float and or needle and seat is out of adjustment and thats the source of your fuel problem

also did you put the retaining spring on the needle and the float? it has to be there

BOAH

Petty Officer 1st Class

I did that check of the float and needle by blowing into it when I rebuilt it and it worked at that time. I'll pull the carb again and take another look. Yes, I put the retaining clip back on the needle and the float. But again, I'll pull it off again and have another look. Thanks for your help.

levi_tsk

Ensign

youre welcome hey while your blow testing stuff do the fuel pump ... you should be able to blow into the inlet (while its unhooked ) and not be able to blow into the outlet of the pump - if you can the pumps diaphram is busted or worn

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I was having similar problems with one of my 6's last fall. I put it away for the winter but will be bringing it out again soon and will have to go through it again so I'll be curious to see what you find out.

AlTn

Commander

did your kit have the rubber tipped needle valve or the all metal one?...I believe BRP has the all metal needles...fwiw, I put a kit in a 1973 6 hp. including new plastic float, couldn't get it to start..put a light coat of vaseline on the float and reassembled the carb then shook it up and down and side to side, disassembled the carb and inspected the float hoping to see rub marks in the vaseline as I thought it might be hanging on the bowl gasket...no mark of any kind..lightly sanded the float on the gasket side, reinstalled the carb..no fuel...carb back off..installed old cork float that I had removed, fired right up and is still running 2 years later

levi_tsk

Ensign

did your kit have the rubber tipped needle valve or the all metal one?...I believe BRP has the all metal needles...fwiw, I put a kit in a 1973 6 hp. including new plastic float, couldn't get it to start..put a light coat of vaseline on the float and reassembled the carb then shook it up and down and side to side, disassembled the carb and inspected the float hoping to see rub marks in the vaseline as I thought it might be hanging on the bowl gasket...no mark of any kind..lightly sanded the float on the gasket side, reinstalled the carb..no fuel...carb back off..installed old cork float that I had removed, fired right up and is still running 2 years later

thats strange ....
and the BRP kits now come with a plastic tipped float needle ... - i never liked the rubber ones and i guess the all metal ones were too expensive to make....

AlTn

Commander

plastic tipped, eh?...I guess the metal needles that worked for decades suddenly needed improving...the rubber tipped ones didn't seem to like ethanol mix...

levi_tsk

Ensign

yep i guess not lol

BOAH

Petty Officer 1st Class

Had to take a break from this thing to get my blood pressure back down <g> but I'm back. I took the carb off and blew into the intake and the needle is definitely seating correctly. Took another look at the float and again did my best to make sure it's flat. Put it back together and checked the needle again and it's definitely working.

Took the fuel pump off but before I did, I blew into the intake and air passed. Blew into the output and air did not pass through. So I took it apart anyway to have a look and everything looks OK to me. I could put in a new gasket kit or replace it but I think it's OK.

Checked compression again and everything is OK there. Is it possible that the timing is so far off that it's causing me problems? Can someone walk me through how to set the timing when it's not running?

AlTn

Commander

I can offer this..google. Max Wawrzyniak Bringing a 1956 hp. Johnson Back To Life...parts 4 an 5 <I think> deal with the ignition...also in the Top Secret Files at the beginning of this Forum..JB Jennings has a how to on point setting

BOAH

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for that! That was really informative. I followed his advice and set the cam and the roller. Mine was way off. While I was at it, I took another look at the points to make sure everything was good there. I put everything back together and ran it in a barrel again. It seems like it is running better but still far from good. I can keep it running if I feather the throttle but there still seems to be a good 3 second delay. I can get it to idle for about 15 seconds and then it will surge up and come down. If I feather the throttle, I can keep it going otherwise it will die.

I noticed two timing marks on the magneto and one on the flywheel so I got my timing light on it and had a look. My guess is that I want the one on the flywheel to line up in between the two marks on the magneto? Mine falls about 1/4 of an inch to the right. So my first question is, how do you advance or retard the timing on this motor?

Next, while it was running, I noticed the smallest amount of what appeared to be exhaust coming out of one of the holes on the face of the carb. If you look at the carb, it is the hole to the right side of the low speed needle. I found a picture of a similar carb and attached the image. It is such a slight amount, it's hard to see. That can't be good, right?

When I finished, I pulled the plugs and they were both black and soaked. I'm surprised that it was even able to run they were so wet.

Once again, thank you for your help. I feel like I'm on a mission to figure this thing out!

Attachments

• carb3.jpg
    carb3.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 0

AlTn

Commander

use the search feature <upper right corner with magnifying glass icon next to it> and search for timing fixture..first thread concerning 6 hp timing and point setting by Tim Frank has info...fwiw.. I also purchased a timing fixture from F_R and it makes the task a 30 sec. deal with no doubts. I think its real beauty is in setting the timing for each at exactly 180 degrees opposed. Timing adjustments are made by adjusting the point gap, and I can't remember for certain but I think opening the gap advances and closing it retards it. I'm sure the manual gives the rpm number at which the flywheel mark is to align between the 2 marks on the armature plate, it's an idle setting like 750 rpm in gear, I think.
You may be seeing fuel mix coming from the carb throat. Did you remove and inspect the reeds and plate? Did you replace the sparkplug wires or at least cut them back 1/2" or so when you replaced the coils? Did you do the same on the sparkplug boot end?
How much variation in rpms at idle are you getting by adjusting the low speed mixture needle? Starting at 1 an 1/2 turns out and screwing it in 1/8th turn at a time? If it's not noticeable, you have some problems in the idle circuits.
Float level...with the carb body inverted, the nonhinged end of the float higher than level allows more fuel into the bowl. The opposite is true if you want less fuel in the bowl the nonhinged end needs to be lower than level.

watchman926

Cadet

Sounds to me like you have a warped carberator. Take it off and check it with a staight edge. Sometimes on car engines you can spray starting fluid around the base while it idles, if the engine picks up, it is sucking it in where the crack or gap is. I don't know if you can do that on an outboard. It does sound like air is getting in though.

w2much

Lieutenant

2 cents more. Check that your float does indeed float. If its not your going to flood and perhaps have fuel coming out the front of the carb. Keep us posted.

dkonrai

Senior Chief Petty Officer

i have a older 7.5, that drove me crazy too, it seems that i have a leak in the split case. might want to look around when the motor is running.

AlTn

Commander

guys this thread is almost 2 years old

w2much

Lieutenant

Good point AITn never noticed that. But , so happens I am having the same issues and have followed it throughout the week. Just got mine running, purrin like a kitten thanks to this thread. Mine was flooding out badly , could not figure it as I checked the float then rechecked the float ect. Turns out the new fuel pump must have been new old stock, perhaps not ethanol proof and the diaphram was alowing fuel in through the crankcase or cylinder thus flooding it.Anyway thanks to all that responded to the thread .