1966 CD-23B tilt adjusting rod stuck

Rev7777

Recruit
Hello,
I just bought a small aluminum with a 6hp 1966 Johnson. When I got home I placed the outboard on a stand to see if it would run but I can’t tilt the outboard down (Perpendicular to the floor). I downloaded a manual and it told me to press the front release button between the clamp handles and pull up but nothing happened. It won’t tilt at all and it bending the 2 x 4 on the stand. Leaving the front release button depressed I can see that the claw fingers are releasing from the tilt adjusting pin. The tilting lever is stuck and I tried to move out to the next position but it doesn’t move. How can I move the tilting lever to change the angle of tilt?

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
try some wd 40 or similar let it soak ... something is binding.
patience is needed ...
6hp are easy engines to work on

F_R

Supreme Mariner
In all my years here in the land of salt and sea, I can't remember ever seeing one of those tilt adjusting levers being too stuck to move. Let me get this straight...are you saying the motor is now in the tilted-up position and won't go down to the running position? I suspect the cross bolt that acts as a hinge is stuck. Loosen the nut on the end of that bolt and give it a try. There are wedge friction blocks in there to hold the motor where you tilt it. Tightening/loosing the nut adjusts the amount of friction.

Rev7777

Recruit
Agree with the above.
Perfect! I sprayed with wd40 and let it sit for a few days. Then took a screw driver and pried the tilting lever away from the current position and she moved. After moving it slowly up and down it allowed me to move the pin to the next position down and therefore eventually allowing me to tilt the motor into the 90 degree position. Thanks for the advice.