1966 3hp JH-216 Johnson question

electricjohn

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was given this motor partially disassembled and told it runs. Got back together and everything under the flywheel looks new. I'll start simple, is there any tell-tail way to see if it pumps cooling water if it starts? I do have an IR thermometer too.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
There are some exhaust relief holes about half way down the leg. Water should spray out those holes in droplets, along with some exhaust. But most of the water & exhaust exit underwater.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You did install a new water pump impeller I hope.-----See the small holes at the back of the exhaust tube.----Water and exhaust spit out of those.----In my opinion that is all you need for a tell tale.

electricjohn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks, saw the holes. Nothing installed new yet. Got to see if motor starts. What should I use for gear lube? 24:1 gas mix with modern oil? Seems rich.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Use 24:1 for best results.----But you will get 4 other suggestions from the next 2 responses.

lindy46

Captain
Use 80-90wt marine gear lube in the lower unit. Use TCW3 oil in the gas.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Look for a large screw at the left(?) rear of the leg, up at the top just under the lower cover. It looks like the drain/vent screws for the gearcase. If you have one, you can unscrew it to see if water is being pumped -- will shoot out a couple of feet if working properly. This is the source of cooling water for the engine, so after briefly checking shut off the motor and reinsert the screw before firing it up again.

The carb has an idle mix adjustment at the top (fixed h.s. jet at the bottom). Initial idle setting is 1 1/2 turns open (counterclockwise) from lightly seated. The motor should run at this setting, subject to further fine tuning when warmed up.