1966 18hp lwr. unit "leaking" while trailering?

adam246

Cadet
Just came back from trailering my 14' boat w/ 1966 18hp Evinrude Fastwin to N. WI and back over the weekend. First long trip w/ this rig - when I got back yesterday I noticed oil dripping from the prop - looking closer I saw some was coming from the exhaust hole on the back of the lower unit, some smaller amt. from two holes on either side of the l.u. kinda right by the prop, and some small amt. from where the lower unit housing bolts to the upper part - (I suppose there is a gasket there?). Obviously I was and continue to be concerned!! This was after trailering the boat about 200 mi. - mostly interstate hwy. in semi-hot weather for MN - (mid 80's). I had also left the gas line hooked up to both unvented tank and engine - when I saw the oil leaking I wondered if the built up pressure in there had anything to do w/ it - I cracked the cap and there was a huge "whoosh" as you can imagine. I wiped the l.u. down - checked that the bolt tightness all over the l.u. (all were fine) & checked the oil level - seemed obviously full as it started to flow out even before having backed that screw out all the way. So - I wiped it off again, parked it, and waited to see if the leaking continued. After about 1 hr., there seemed to be just a tiny bit come out of the 2 small holes to the sides of the prop - so I wiped it off - trailer it to a sm. local lake about 8-10 mi. away - no leaks apparent there so I dropped it in the water - took it for a spin and it ran like a champ - just like it has since I bought it about 3 weeks ago. I use it very nearly every day in fact. The oil was not milky at all like I would figure it would be if contaminated by water leaking into the unit and mixing w/ the oil in the l.u. So - being pretty new to the outboard world - I wonder if someone can clue me in to what's happening and how paranoid I should be about this. Was it just the hi outside temp causing the oil to expand and ooze out or what!?!? - Thanks in advance!

adam246

Cadet
Re: 1966 18hp lwr. unit "leaking" while trailering?

PS - I've already ordered a repro manual for this engine but it hasn't arrived yet! And I don't know if this sort of thing would be in there ....

BF

Lieutenant

It's common for OB's to drip oily exhaust when they're not running... especially if it's a motor used for trolling a lot. It's from unburnt oil (from the fuel/oil mix) that will accumulate in the exhaust housing. That sounds like what you have (black oily, smells of gas or exhaust). Gear oil (lower unit) is thick and stinks like... well... gear oil. If there's no water in your LU (=milky looking oil in LU), then I think you've got no problem. Enjoy it!!<br /><br />that's my $.02<br /><br />Brent

Xcusme

Commander

Adam,<br />You may have found the reason for your 'leak'. Not disconnecting the fuel line can cause pressure to build in the tank forcing fuel past the float needle and flooding the intake. The fuel can find it's way to the exhaust ports and into the midsection of the motor. There it can 'wash' the spent oil and unburned fuel from the inside of the midsection and out the exhaust vents and prop area. Some leakage of this unburned fuel and oil mixture sometimes will drip from the prop area , especially after a long session of slow trolling and idling and is normal. As for the lower unit, which 'screw' did you remove to inspect the level?? If it was the top 'vent' screw, and you saw lube exiting before you had the screw fully removed, it can indicate a too full condition or expansion as you suspect. Remove the lower 'Fill' screw and check again for water intrusion. Water will settle to the lower part of the lower unit and is best checked there. If you find water in the lower unit lube, first check the sealing washers/O-rings on the Fill and Vent screws, replace as necessary. You can pressure check the lower unit for leaks to identify the source of any leaks if need be.

adam246

Cadet

thank you gentlemen - all appears OK after all! What a relief...this board is the BEST!