1965 Starcraft Nassau restore

Captmills

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1965 Starcraft Nassau restore

on the pic above the 2 mounting brackets are similar but after installing the new one I saw that it was flat to the dash and not angled so I had to modify the old one to accept the larger shaft of the new helm.

View attachment 162157View attachment 162158

after running the cable back to the motor guess what, the old shaft had a different end on it and this one was not going to fit, dang it

View attachment 162161

called the supplier and said HELP, so after looking at the diagram that came with the cable then it say's you need this part. the rod end was the one I had but now I have to order the clevis type to attach to the cable I have...hope this helps someone in the future while ordering. as for me, part comes in next week.

View attachment 162162

Captmills

Petty Officer 1st Class

since I couldn't finish the cable I installed the tracks for the rear doors and doors of course, you will have to slide the doors in with the track and put the screws in after. the track that was in the splashwell was wide enough that I could use the 3/4 that I used for the transom and dash so I used 3/4 track from lowes for the bottom (2 pieces)

View attachment 162163

used some left over noodle to keep the cable off of sharp edges, does that count as floatation?:D

100_1746.JPG

barato2

Commander

Cap'n....looks like better flotation than protection for the cable. sharp alum edge will cut through noodle in about 1/2 hr of chop. i save all my old radiator and heater hoses when i change em on the cars* for stuff like this......hose that is old and has partially turned from rubber to rock is GREAT cut n abrasion protection.

*now why exactly does my wife call me a hoarder....? :rolleyes:

Captmills

Petty Officer 1st Class

good point b2, have to rethink that one...just ordered my new Starcraft capacity plate. that was an awesome find. $20 well spent!

Captmills

Petty Officer 1st Class

last of the parts must be on a pack mule, been waiting a week for the last of the goodies to come in, looks like the boat is staying home and not going to make the trip, oh well, guess I'll have to make a special trip for the big splash:rolleyes:

North Beach

Commander

good point b2, have to rethink that one...just ordered my new Starcraft capacity plate. that was an awesome find. $20 well spent!

Where did you order the plate? I ordered one on line and when it showed up it was a decal, not a plate.

Captmills

Petty Officer 1st Class

Garzon studio, It was linked on here so I hope it's a plate

jbcurt00

Staff member

based on the web address:
http://garzonstudio.com/boat/capacity-decal.html

And the description on their website, I think you can expect it to be a decal that "looks like" a capacity plate

In LakeLover's plate thread he did order & recieve a hard plastic plate, that contained the correct info about load, HP rating & etc, but wasn't quite the same layout or design as what you are getting w/ the plate decal:
JetStarCapPlateNew0612-w.jpg
His plate

verses:

starcraft-boat-capacities-plate-decal.png
decal 'plate'

Captmills

Petty Officer 1st Class

yep, just got it in the mail, dang sticker, it don't even look as good as the pic you just posted J . oh well. My original one was shot so I guess I'll keep looking and use this one in the mean time. $2.00 would have been a better price for a sticker. At least one of the other parts I need showed up.

North Beach

Commander

yep, just got it in the mail, dang sticker, it don't even look as good as the pic you just posted J . oh well. My original one was shot so I guess I'll keep looking and use this one in the mean time. $2.00 would have been a better price for a sticker. At least one of the other parts I need showed up.

That's why I asked bud. I spent the 20 just to check them out about two months ago and posted that it was a pretty cheezy sticker. I didn't like it anywhere near as much as the ones my folks are making here.

SunchiefTag2.jpg

SunchiefTag3.jpg

This is a decal laminated on aluminum with rounded corners and pre-drilled mounting holes. They look just like my original data plate...

Captmills

Petty Officer 1st Class

where did you get those from? I am not happy with the sticker. I read that post, something must have scrambled in my brain cause I thought the one I got was the one you were happy with. I saw LL's and knew he wasn't real happy with his either.

North Beach

Commander

Ive been having these made locally here for a couple years now. I know we've done around 30 or so for different folks. I don't make anything and I don't want any trouble with the no selling policy so I don't really post a bunch about it. If you need one made up send me a pm..

Captmills

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well folks she is finished 9/10/11 been busy busy at work and spending a few spare hours finishing up, thermostat, control box, steering but she's done. I'll post the finished pics this weekend and wrap it up. It's been a fun project and I'm am well pleased with how she turned out. planning a trip to the coast in a week and a half and let her run the waters she used to run in. See y'all this weekend with the final pics.