1965 Starcraft Nassau restore

rheagler

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1965 Starcraft Nassau restore

Lookin good, Cap'n. What's your splash goal?

Captmills

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think next weekend is a bit too soon but maybe the next week...the week before vacation, still would like to take her to the coast but need to splash her in the lake first.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Nice looking! I think I have the same steering wheel around here somewhere:rolleyes: I like the minimalist dash, sleek....

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Looks scrumptious, CM. She's a winner.

Captmills

Petty Officer 1st Class

Murphy sent a friend over this afternoon as I was thinking about putting on the windshield. The weaterstrip is old but I thought well, just to install it I won't worry about that too much but got to looking at how the screws go through the weatherstripping and there's only 2 sticking out so... I pulled the bottom trim off only to find out that the screws are mounted in the weaterstrip which is slid into place afterwards so, anybody got a handle on this weatherstrip for a Taylor Made windshield? the overall width is 3/4 inch and the part that slides into the trim is 3/8 inch. Thanks if you got a lead.

100_1720.JPG100_1721.JPG100_1722.JPG

Captmills

Petty Officer 1st Class

murpy's friend stole the H's in weatherstrip too!

rheagler

I used Frost King EPDM rubber weatherseal on mine. But I admit I didn't put a lot of effort into finding the original type....
scan0003.jpg

Got it right off the shelf at Lowes

Captmills

Petty Officer 1st Class

sent an email to taylormade, may have to go the off the shelf route, only problem is the screws go thru the weatherstrip but not the trim. may have to do a modify and drill and countersink through the trim. best part is the butyl they set the glass in has hardened to the consistancy of concrete...makes me think of jb and his bedliner. Chipped away for a while tonight and only got a couple of inches of it cleaned out:facepalm:

jbcurt00

Staff member

Chipped away for a while tonight and only got a couple of inches of it cleaned out
Yep, just like that. Sitting in the Jet, tools in my hands, just staring at the total lack of progress after an hour. Many times, many many times:facepalm: Sweating my arse off... But hey, now I'm using a different hole punch in my belt:)

Does butyl soften w any readily available solvents? Chipping away at it all the way along the bottom of the windshield doesn't sound good, even on plastic/acrylic/plexi/lexan 'glass'

rheagler

Would heat from a heat gun help?

Captmills

Petty Officer 1st Class

jb, the glass came out clean, just the track/trim the glass sits in. Man, talk about murphy showing up YIKES!!!:eek:

rh, this stuff is so hard I'm not sure but I'm gonna give it a try

Captmills

Petty Officer 1st Class

Promised y'all a pic of the doors in the stern. Engine gittin a new coat of paint and plopped a seat in for some instant gratifacation. Taking the Admiral to her parents house today and out to eat for her birthday so I better behave and pay some attention to her instead of the "other" girl. :)

100_1728.JPG100_1723.JPG100_1724.JPG100_1725.JPG

GA_Boater

That's right, Cap. The misstress has to be number 2. Sometimes. :rolleyes: The doors look good. I like the doors - help hide junk. Not much with battery and a tank, but some room for hidden stowage. Motor is nice and clean.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Yea captain, handle your biz at home or the other girl will be a distant memory.

Looks good. You got to be getting pretty close here. I think the white was a good choice for the hull. It's coming together nicely.

rheagler

I like the doors. Real clean looking. I also like how you matched up the grain on the plywood panels. Nice!

Captmills

Petty Officer 1st Class

So much fun, didn't take any pics today. Not a whole lot to look at, got the engine painted and remounted to the boat,bilge pump installed and wired and messed around with the windshield some. Got the location marked out and made new screws for the track on the bottom and got all the butyl cleaned out of the track and cleaned the glass with some fine steel wool and soap, took off years of scuz.
Tip of the day: put the splash well drain inner part in before you put the transom in, gee whiz I could have saved myself an hour by taking 1 minute to do that (used the plastic ones) If you use the metal ones it looks like you better take the splashwell out. Murphy showed up with all his pals at the end after I hooked up the teleflex steering cable to the engine, doesn't budge, steering wheel doesn't move nothing. All I did was disconnect from the engine and dropped the steering when I redid the dash. Nothing has changed, but it doesn't move. If anybody has any idea's I'll be over on the non-engine topics trying to figure out what I've done. BTW it moved before I took it down. :mad:

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Two steps forward, one step back:facepalm:. Hang in there you'll get it figured out.

GA_Boater

Did you get the steering working? Sometimes s--t happens and we never know why.

Captmills

Petty Officer 1st Class

It would seem that when I took the engine off and moved the steering cable out of the way something inside bound up or broke sooo. ended up cutting the cable loose with a sawzall (not recommended) because I could not get the engine end of the cable out of the tube which I may not have needed to do but I was ill because it would not come loose. Being ignorant of the steering system didn't want to mess up the tube or the end of the rod connected to the engine. man, spent Sunday afternoon trying to figure out how to get the cable loose from the tube (see pics on restore section) twisted,pulled, turned, tapped, yanked, you name it and nothing. found out that the tube had corroded to the cable and was not coming out so today I ordered everything, helm, cable, tube to replace. Another $175.00 but the good part is it didn't happen on the open water with the Admiral in the boat...that would have been ugly.

Captmills

Petty Officer 1st Class

Steering cable showed up yesterday so this morning it was out to the boat for an install. I took a fair number of pics and have some info for anyone who has not attempted this yet. I learned some stuff I did not know when I ordered that may help y'all out.

100_0001.JPG

this is the kit I ordered for the nassau with 13' cable

100_0003.JPG100_0002.JPG

this is the old one coming out. 3 bolts holding the bracket and 3 smaller bolts holding in the helm.

100_1732.JPG

this is the new helm and the old, not much difference

Attachments

• 100_1734.jpg
    100_1734.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 4