1965 Starcraft Nassau restore

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: 1965 Starcraft Nassau restore

I repaired cracks and missing chunks on mine w/ JB Weld and refinished it w/ Rustoleum Plastic (primer and paint) turned out great.

Well, that was probably cheaper then the POR15 steering wheel rehab kit. Hmmm, I may need to consider that for a possible wheel swap.

Captmills

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well the marathon is over, a recap:
transom and dash removed
transom and dash rebuilt
sand,sand,sand, green man
prime,paint,paint some more
set out all purty hardware
install purty hardware
re-install dash
SWEAT,SWEAT,SWEAT wouldn't you know the last 5 days we broke the all time 100+ streak in recorded history and this coming week is going to be in the 80s:eek:
DO I REALLY HAVE TO GO BACK TO WORK TOMORROW???:eek:
Thanks for all the encouragement guy's I am happy as a clam with all that's been done and Murphy only peeked in for a moment!

photo 6.JPG

Captmills

Petty Officer 1st Class

Oh, I forgot, the steering wheel got a bath:p

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

SWEAT,SWEAT,SWEAT wouldn't you know the last 5 days we broke the all time 100+ streak in recorded history and this coming week is going to be in the 80s:eek:
DO I REALLY HAVE TO GO BACK TO WORK TOMORROW???:eek:
Thanks for all the encouragement guy's I am happy as a clam with all that's been done and Murphy only peeked in for a moment!

You know if you were taking this week off It would be hot and the past week would be in the 80's. That's Murphy for you. You did get a ton of work done.

rheagler

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Looking good Capt! As GA said, you got a ton of work done. Hope you don't lose momentum now. I think you should take tomorrow off. Call in and say that you are too well to work:D

jbcurt00

Staff member

You must have over worked in the heat on the yard, sorry to hear you may have heat stroke. Nothing to serious, & surely it'll clear up in a day or 2;) I hear boat work is very therapeutic & aids in the recovery from many an ailment...

Just try to avoid all that stressful yard work in this heat, I'd hate to here you suffered another episode & may need another day (or 3)..... Or you reach the next goal:)

It all looks great, you got a bunch done...

Captmills

Petty Officer 1st Class

you're right *gasp gasp* I'm feeling rather puny *sigh* to much heat and the monkey shorely jumped on my back, may be after I get the engine and interior...I mean after I get some rest and get rehydrated before I can get back to work;) I'm sure I'll feel better by next week:)

jbcurt00

Staff member

For your use as you see fit:
medical_degree.jpg

Captmills

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks JB, I'll be putting that to work for sure. Another good one would be a declaration of insanity, SHWMBO swears I have lost my mind:eek:

Captmills

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm thinkin she'll be staying at home for the splash, don't need the "negative waves man"

barato2

Commander

wow. that thing is lookin showroom new in that pic. cept the factory didn't make the dahses that nice.

good plan on SWMBO not getting the see the teething process

Captmills

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah, I'd hate to have to leave the wife at home while me and the boat go to the coast;) but seriously, man I was wore out today and I really want to go out and play with the boat but part of me say's man this recliner is comfy. Waiting on a few more shiney parts and some 5200 sealant...what was I thinkin when I ordered parts? Anyway, the steering wheel is in the house and I may play with that for a while and rest up from the marathon. Thanks for the good words barato, can't wait to get the guts back in her and put her into the lake for a splash. May be a couple of weeks yet:(

Captmills

Petty Officer 1st Class

progress is progress right? the steering wheel got a bath, some JB weld on some small cracks and some plastic paint and yea! a shiney new looking wheel. light switch and horn button in. more fun to come!

100_1704.JPG100_1705.JPG100_1706.JPG

barato2

Commander

nice. much more character than a generic modern wheel!

tgp***

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Nice job on the steering wheel! Looks brand new.

Yamikaze

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That is one heck of a lot of progress in such a short time. Great work! I was looking at the picture you have of your new windshield on the boat. I am in the "same boat" as your are. What kind of ideas have you come up with to make one of those nice glass windshields fit the curve of the deck. Altering the glass is out of the question, so that leaves altering the boat or filling in the gap. I choose fill the gap. I am thinking wood, but have other ideas too.

Captmills

Petty Officer 1st Class

yamikaze, that windshield fits perfect, the only reason you see a gap is because there are two screws sticking down from the bottom of the windshield that I had not drilled for yet and was sitting on the bow. I was extreamly lucky in finding this, I checked it before I bought it and had a 2 inch curve in the bow and this one was the same and the holes on the bracket on the ends fit right in the holes in the boat. It couldn't have been better if it was made for this boat :D I was one lucky feller!

Yamikaze

Petty Officer 3rd Class

"one lucky feller" is right. Mine is going to present some work, but I think I have it all figured out. Good luck on the build, it sure is looking nice.

Captmills

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK, work goes on, My son rewired the old girl last weekend while I redid the side panels, pulled off the white vinyl and covered them with carpet. When he was done with the rewiring I got the carpet installed. piddled around this week and took a couple of evenings off and then back to the fun, got the tray under the dash installed...why didn't I remember the tray went in before the steering wheel:redface: got the panels installed, the carpet in the bow and the footrest back in. then cut the replacement panels for under the splashwell and coated (pics for that tomorrow) battery box installed, battery charged, transom plate on and started getting the engine ready to reinstall...whew and more fun tomorrow. Looking forward to the big splash! Oh, by the way wallyworld has noodles on sale for a dollar apiece, added some behind the side panels just because.
100_1714.JPG100_1717.JPG100_1719.JPG