1965 Starcraft Nassau restore

Capt'n Chris

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1965 Starcraft Nassau restore

I'm torn between the original color and going to a hunter green top W/white bottom(wife's choice)and hunter on the motor with white/green int. It would be easier to go back with the original color. The jury's still out.:confused:

Leave it the original color. I remember that boat in 1965.

Captmills

Petty Officer 1st Class

Andy, yes, I'm going to squeeze in a bilge pump. It will be a small one but I figure any is better than none. Now JimCB and CaptChris has me second guessing the Hunter green :eek:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I had dark blue on the Jupiter. The heat was nothing worth mentioning. I like your green.

Captmills

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks EZ, Jim was trying to "chat" me out of it last night,But, I got the "big thumbs up" from SWMBO what can I do?:D

JimbC

Chief Petty Officer

OK capt don't say I didn't tell ya so.:D at least stay with that original color i liked it better.:)

Captmills

Petty Officer 1st Class

Jim, ya got the wheels turning. I am not commited yet...but should be:D I'm going to see if I can find the color (It would be easier to paint) and be in keeping with "restore" sorta :confused: originally was a darker green as you know. Also, truth be known if I could get real close on the match I wouldn't really have to paint the sides, just the top and transom:D

Andy in NY

Commander

go for the hunter green... it will look good. i did an emrald green on mine and was happy with it.

DSC00005-1.jpg

heat will not be an issue unless you plan on standing on the bow with bare feet for an hour or so.

Captmills

Petty Officer 1st Class

Things have been a little slow around the old plantation, went to Charleston, SC last weekend for a reenactment :D and hung around for a few days to sightsee a bit. Hope to get a little work done this weekend (the Nassau is feeling neglected) Getting over (i hope) a little touch of broncitis, coughing up a lung. Hope to catch y'all in a chat soon

Captmills

Petty Officer 1st Class

Seeing as though I was not feeling up to sanding today and it was to wet to plow and to windy to stack BB's I decided to do a little upholstery work on the side panels...
Starting with how they came out of the boat
100_1378.jpg

Then the original vinyl
100_1379.jpg

100_1380.jpg

And after pulling out several hundred copper staples and upholstery tacks
100_1381.jpg

The wood is a little dark but still in good shape (Oh, and I did check to make sure that the panel would fit in the boat with the new deck and a scrap of the flooring, Another fine tip from the folks at Starcraft forum)
and then...
100_1382.jpg

Captmills

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bet y'all are wondering "why don't he write" well life has gotten in the way the last couple of years but I'm back to working on the boat. Been catching up on the threads and feel plumb ashamed of myself. The wife went through a rough spell 2 summers ago and I ruptured disc # 3 last summer and all the while the Starcraft has waited patiently in the barn for work to resume. I'll have to get the young'un to show me how to post pics again to keep Y'all up on progress. Painting has started and parts are on order so maybe soon she will hit the water. Keep y'all posted

Captmills

Petty Officer 1st Class

okay, here we go, found a galvanized trailer today with a 1966 supercraft W/ 40hp johnson (same year) and a decent windshield on it but Supercraft is toast. Stopped on the way home and looked at a glass windshield that will fit perfectly on the Nassua and hoping to make a trade for the boat and motor for the perfect condition windshield:) IN GLASS! came home and got the engine off the Nassua remade the transom plate out of marine mahogany and my neighbor is coating it with epoxy (he builds wood boats) and then sat down and ordered all my topside hardware. I'm gonna fill all my extra holes and get started painting the whole boat white. No hunter green just white,white, white. can't wait to get back on track, hope to have her in the water in time for vacation in August. Got a line on a buddy who might be able to mill out the Starcraft emblems for the stern...I am pumped up. pics to follow.

Captmills

Petty Officer 1st Class

4th of July 2012. Back to the boat full force, lots to happen...5 days to throw down. To transom or not to transom, that is the question. If you are on the fence about the transom, just do it. Look at the rot I found that was hidden. Transom was bowed about a half an inch and I am soooo glad we did this. This is how much my son and myself got done in 2 hours including glueing up and cooking while we get a cool drink. Back to work and more to come...

DSCN1429.JPGDSCN1435.JPGDSCN1443.JPGDSCN1451.JPGDSCN1452.JPG

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Right on with the transom. If you think maybe it needs one, it does. A pity to do everything else and skip the transom and have to do it a year or two later.

InMotion

Commander

lookin good Capt! Ya... what seems to be ok often is not... it's what is hidden under all that supposed solidness --- mulch! Glad you did it. Your boat will thank you!!

Keep at it man.... 4 more weeks?!!!

Captmills

Petty Officer 1st Class

1:18pm, in for lunch. dash out,dash cut, dash fit, 1 coat spar varnish...rest and back at it. Inmotion, 5 day marathon, hoping to get it painted this weekend too. Too ambitious ??? we'll see:)

InMotion

Commander

1:18pm, in for lunch. dash out,dash cut, dash fit, 1 coat spar varnish...rest and back at it. Inmotion, 5 day marathon, hoping to get it painted this weekend too. Too ambitious ??? we'll see:)

Murphy's on vacation... no worries! You'll get it done!

IM

GA_Boater

Were you able to pull the old dash in one piece? A common point of discussion here. I lay under my dash and ponder the possibility of getting it out without taking off the bow cap. I have to bite the bullet and just do it.

Captmills

Petty Officer 1st Class

GA, nope, I was under that darn dash last night for 3 hours trying to figure out how to get it off in one piece and today pulled the screws out and wiggled and looked some more, grabbed the saw and cut it down the middle and pulled both sides out and cut my new dash and thought that if I cut the angle on the sides off I could fit it back in. NOPE, had to cut it 2 inches short to get it back in. So, when I re-install the dash I am going to cut 2 metal extentions and screw them to the end of the dash and then screw the extentions to the original brackets on the side of the boat and call it done.

GA_Boater

Darn it, you didn't find the secret. :mad: Your extensions should be just fine. I think when SC built these things they started with dashes hanging from the ceiling on strings and constructed the boats around them.