1965 **** Schuster 18 foot Runabout **NEW PICS UPDATED 8/23**

kibs45

Cadet
I have been snooping for a while and have really enjoyed what I have seen. I just thought I would share what ended up in my driveway today! Its a 1965 **** Schuster 18 ft fiberglass. I havn't been able to find much on it, but it seems to be a very quality boat (if a bit neglected). Anyway I will try to document what all happens to the boat, but I am not a real hurry so I can't promise it will happen quickly. First things first though, any suggestions on a good cleaner/sealer for the outside? By the way I can't seem to find much about this **** Schuster, anything anyone might know would be great.

kibs45

Cadet
Re: Quick Hi!

Well I guess Picasa is being difficult, heres the link to the album... Sorry about the empty posts.

Lightnig

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Actually a good looking boat you got there, I quite like it.

Well, it will be once it gets all cleaned up and fixed up.

And here, I'll get those pics posted up for you.

DSCF4791.JPG

DSCF4792.JPG

DSCF4793.JPG

DSCF4794.JPG

DSCF4795.JPG

I just copied the image address and wrapped that in [ img] [ /img] tags... ;)

kibs45

Cadet

I tried and tried but just couldn't get it right, ie the blank posts. I think thats the code I was using, maybe the link was wrong. Well I have started the process of cleaning the inside of the boat, and its incredible how much that helps. Soon enough we'll clean the outside, and get the engine/outdrive dialed in. I am very excited as this is my first boat, and it seems like it will go together nicely. Probably just a lot of work! Anyway thanks for fixing that and like I said if anybody knows anything about **** Schuster I am always curious...

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Very cool old boat. Good luck with your (very large) project!

Lightnig

Petty Officer 2nd Class

your picture link should look just like this (with no spaces though...)

[ img]http://lh6.ggpht.com/_hApPgBQ8dxI/SnUKs1xN1mI/AAAAAAAAAKI/6VdLAKLK1l4/s800/DSCF4804.JPG[ /img]

keep trying, you'll figure it out in no time :)

if it's just clean up, re cover the seats, and go through the drive unit, it won't be bad at all. If you are needing floor and transom, then it will be a big project indeed.

Looking forward to seeing more pics once you get those years of gunk cleaned away...

kibs45

Cadet

It seems like i am going to be very lucky with the floor, I highly doubt so lucky with the transom though. However when a buddy says "You're looking for a boat? Get mine out of the yard." You end up with what you end up with. The floor is very deep into the boat, I think you can see that in a few of the pictures, and looks molded as opposed to fiberglass covered plywood, but I just don't know yet. I am slowly but surely getting it cleaned out, and then on to the motor before the "deep cleaning".

Lightnig

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hard to tell from these pics, once you get it all cleaned out of leaves and branches, take a couple of pics focusing on the floor and we'll have a much better idea.

But, looking close at the floor in front of the rear seat, it looks to me like the floor is wood...

tlovelandka

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Very cool boat indeed! Good luck with your project...:D

-TLove

kibs45

Cadet
Updates after doing some cleaning...

Updates after doing some cleaning...

So I started getting things cleaned/tore down today, and I am very encouraged by what I have found. I think I need to get the transom cap off to see what all is going on back there. The floor is absolutely solid, and the only wood I see near the transom is not actually attached to the transom its about 6-8 inches away. I am posting some more pics any thoughts are always appreciated. A bunch of the wood for the seat supports is rotted as well as the wood near the transom. Those look easy enough to remake. I still surprised by how well the floor seems to be holding up. I think it is wood though because in one of the pictures you can see what looks like minor cracking. Other than cleaning out some more nastiness and taking care of the engine I think it won't be too long before it starts going back together.
Thanks Joel

DSCF4895.JPG

DSCF4896.JPG

DSCF4897.JPG

DSCF4898.JPG

DSCF4899.JPG

DSCF4900.JPG

kibs45

Cadet
Re: 1965 **** Schuster 18 foot Runabout

DSCF4901.JPG

DSCF4902.JPG

DSCF4903.JPG

DSCF4905.JPG

DSCF4908.JPG

DSCF4904.JPG

kibs45

Cadet

DSCF4910.JPG

DSCF4911.JPG

DSCF4912.JPG

DSCF4914.JPG

kibs45

Cadet

Alright got the stupid pic thing figured out! I was taking another look at some of the stuff today, and here are some more thoughts. The tank in the bow is probably an add on, and I don't think the barrier between that space and the seats is original, especially the two boxes. I am also wondering if the wood that creates the "space" behind the rear seats and the actual transom is also an add on. I have resigned myself to pulling at least the transom cap off to see whats going on in there. All the fuel line work is very shotty. It will all need to be redone. I need to finish cleaning out the inside, I am going to rip out the seat bases and make new ones, I also kept the seats because the hardware is all good, I can use them as templates to make new ones. I am also going to remake the "shelf" that runs along both sides. The very next step though is going to be getting the engine/outdrive tested out. Anyway thats the progress so far.

Lightnig

Petty Officer 2nd Class

looking better now. :)

I must say, I've seen a lot worse floors than that one is. Just keep pulling out the bad until there's nothing but good left, and start putting it back together. This project may not be as in depth as many are.

robbankston

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1965 **** Schuster 18 foot Runabout **NEW PICS UPDATED 8/17**

Cool old boat.

THEPATRIOT

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That's a sharp looking boat!I'm very happy to see all these vintage boats being saved :).