1965 Mercruiser EZ-Shift ?

dorsett5965

Seaman Apprentice
Hello again,
Can someone tell me if the 1965 "mercruiser EZ-Shift" has a shift interupter switch ?
Can't seem to fnd this info on line.
Mine is a 1965 Dorsett IL6 Mercruiser.
Don's see serial numbers on the drive.
On the motor #1826572
(started this new post due to my first one with incorrect mercruiser model, on my part)
Thanks again, Jim

dorsett5965

Seaman Apprentice
Ok Thanks, I will look closer.
So did mercruiser have this shift stall switch from the very begining models ? Whenever Mercruiser started like 1962/3 ?
Thanks, Jim

dorsett5965

Seaman Apprentice
Found it ! In all it's greasy glory. Thanks!
Another question, what is the purpose of the cam portion of the shift shaft on my outdrive (below the shift bar) that is not there on later models.
mine again is the 1965 EZ-Shift.
Thanks, Jim
Also, was going to attach a photo of the shift switch but "file too large" so I will search how to reduce it on this forum for the next time.

Bondo

Staff member
mine again is the 1965 EZ-Shift.

Ayuh,..... Unfortunately, Most of those who've worked on the EZ shift, have already gone the same direction as the EZ shift,.....

To the dustbin of history,....

I'm Guessin' yer lookin' at some sorta reverse lock down, like on some ole outboards,....

dorsett5965

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks, it must work with the lock linkage and lever on the gimbal or bell on the transom (don't know the correct term)
thanks again, Jim

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Ah, that a real oldie, the brass shift shoe is sort of splined to lock a releasing plate on the outdrive

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
7.gif