1965 mercruiser (150) / 81 outdrive (470)

dorsett5965

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all,
Just finished installing a "newer" early 80's outdrive on my original 65 mercruiser.
All is very well,
I have a question about the original shocks that are on the bell that I kept in place.
The new early 80's outdrive does not have the mounts for the shocks.
My boat is running just fine without them, but in your opinion, should I try to fab new mounts on the new drive or take the shocks off completly.
BTW I do have original functioning trim hydraulics.
Thanks, Jim

Scott06

Vice Admiral
If it's working I'd leave it alone. I assume you gave just a single line going to each lift cylinder? My grandfathers 1966 penn tan had tgat set up with the shock absorbers, Tilt always leaked back down. Never knew what shocks were there for but at that age if it works I wouldn't mess with it.

dorsett5965

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks,
Yes they have only one line.
And the inside of the cylinders have a spring in them that pull back when the fluid is pumped back.
Thanks I will remove the shocks as they are just hanging and could hit the cylinders on occasion.
Thanks again, Jim

kenny nunez

Captain
You must have had to do some grinding for the drive to mount to the old style bell housing and the surfaces where the drive fits inside the lower gimbal ring and elongate the mounting holes on the drive. Good job getting it all to fit. As said before forget about the shocks.