1965 Johnson 9.5 hp mq-11c

nitsud

Recruit
I have a 1965 Johnson 9.5hp mq-11c that starts but will not continuously run without flipping choke on and off repeatedly. I've cleaned the carb and the fuel pump screen, is this a carb adjustment issue or what? It will start up in the choke position then sputter at which point I flip the choke off and it revs back up then back down to a sputter so I flip the choke on again and it will rev back up. Any help will be much appreciated.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1965 Johnson 9.5 hp mq-11c

You can try adjusting the carb but it sounds like you missed something in the carb cleaning.

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer

I agree with boobie.
How many turns out from lightly seated do you have your slow speed needle set?

nitsud

Recruit

I agree with boobie.
How many turns out from lightly seated do you have your slow speed needle set?

1 1/2 turns from gently seated, took the flywheel off and seems the points aren't too good, i think its only firing on one cylinder.

AEROCOOK

All OE ignition parts are available for your motor. I just bought OE coils, condensers and points for my 1966 9.5 and it cost me less than 60 bucks. Though you may need to replace most of your ignition components, the symptom you describe sounds like fuel starvation.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Have you checked your spark with an open air gap spark tester ?? It should jump a 1/4" gap.

nitsud

Recruit

yeah it was getting spark in the top cylinder but not the bottom but I've got brand new ignition parts already ordered and you're right they are cheap! I can already tell though that I'm gonna need some help with the timing, I've got the service manual and it shows how to there but I think I am still going to be a lil in the dark on it. I don't have a timing light or the "special tool" mentioned in the service manual. Also i'm probably going to replace the impeller, does this involve dismantling the entire powerhead?

popsmazz1

Petty Officer 1st Class

you probably don"t have to mess with the timing, set the points 20 thousance, buy a carb. kit it really makes a huge diff. and clean the carb. real good, remove the welsh plugs and clean under them, they come in the kit.

AEROCOOK

You can do static timing without a timing light, check out Lee-Roy's ramblings for instructions. The problem with just setting the point gap at .020 and calling it good is that it's difficult to know when the points are open all the way. In reality, spark timing is more critical than point gap but I think you will find that after the static timing is correct, your points gap will also be correct. The static timing procedure in Lee-Roy's ramblings instructs you to drill a hole in the base plate and run a temporary wire to hook up to an ohm meter but on your motor this is not necessary, just use the kill switch wires that are already there. I timed my two 9.5s using this method in about half an hour.
It may sound complicated but it's really not, read the procedure and let us know if you need help.
Water pump impeller is a piece of cake, you just need to pull the lower unit off to get to it.