1965 Evinrude 40 HP Big Twin purchase...Need some advice ...

Huntleybill

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am looking at purchasing the above mentioned engine. It has electric shift and electric start. There is supposed to be no issues with this engine but it has no controls for it. I want to go look at it tomorrow but before I do I wanted to research what remote control units will cost me for it. Can I even get those parts for a 1965??

What I am wondering is: Are remotes AND ignition wiring harnesses available for this. Where would I get them, and if you could, let me know what I would expect to pay for them?

I want to put this on my 14 foot speed boat and want to be able to control the motor from the **** pit. All suggestions welcome.

Thank you

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: 1965 Evinrude 40 HP Big Twin purchase...Need some advice ...

What kind of price is on that motor? I didn't know that the Big Twins came with electric shift. Are you sure that it isn't a Lark?
If it was me, I would steer away from an electric shift model anyway. Parts are quite spendy, should something go wrong and buying those parts are more costly than the motor is worth. The controls will cost a bit too.
There are lots of the manual shift models out there and I would look for one of those, if it was me.

Huntleybill

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I found out that it is a Lark. Model # 40553. I talked with the elderly gentleman selling it. He says it was his best friends motor who died 2 years ago. Used it on his pontoon boat putting around the lake. He also said it has good compression and ran perfectly the last time it was in the water ( 2 years ago) Been in inside storage ever since. He will sell it for $200 but what good is it if I can't get the control?!

Advice????

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

The controls are expensive, if you can find them in your area.

The electric shift models are often given a bad rap, they are actually not too bad, the only trouble is finding someone who knows how to service them. Most modern mechanics would be lost.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

$200 may not be a bad deal, if it's been well cared for and been properly stored. The first thing I would do, is take a compression test and check the oil in the lower unit. Keep close tabs on the oil too and make sure there is no water intrusion.

Yea, Big Twins were all manual shift motors and Larks were either way. If you shop carefully, you can get controls at a decent price. Search the AOMCI webvertize and eBay. You might get lucky.

Like Chris says, modern mechanics will be lost and may not know how to service them. It would be a good opportune time for you to learn about it, should you decide to purchase it.

Huntleybill

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I did ask the guy about compression and he had the numbers but didn't have them handy when I talked with him. He did say that the compression was good. As for the controls, I cant find any part numbers or descriptions of the control. I did a search for the parts on iboats and found nothing. I tried a couple other marine parts suppliers on here and most go back to 1966. This motor is a 1965. I googled the model #40552 and got nothing for parts. I looked on ebay, found nothing. I called Teleflex to see if there was an aftermarket one that would work and am waiting a return call from them.

Would anyone have the part number for the control or know what aftermarket control will work?

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

You might try these salvage yards here:

outboard-parts.com
laingsoutboards.com
tcoutboard.com
fairwindsmarina.com
salvagemarine.com
marinepartsoutlet.com
outboardexchange.com
Superior Marine (800-338-9281)
budgetboats.net
americanoutboard.com
piratemarinesalvage.com
trixieslanding.com
mmmarinesalvage.com
tcoutboards.com

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Teleflex wont have anything.

I believe there are a couple for sale on our Canadian Chapter website, check it out here.

http://www.mapleleafchapter.org/for_sale.htm

Short of this, post a wanted ad in the webvertize.

67'starcraft

Recruit

sorry i didn't look through that first, it doesn't show your controller like it does for mine but maby one of those other listed engines will.