1965 Evinrude 3hp Lighwin-impeller/carb issues

I got an old evinrude from a friend and just got it running. It had not been ran in a year. I am going to search for a new impeller for this motor. When I do get the new impeller, is there anywhere that I should see water coming out to let me know its cooling properly? If not how can I verify if it is?

Also I can't get it to run without having the choke fully on. I have completely tore down the carb and cleaned all parts throroughly with Gumout (no rebuild kit), but still have to have carb fully on. Spark is good, jumps about 3/8".

Thanks guys.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: 1965 Evinrude 3hp Lighwin-impeller/carb issues

Thought i'd already answered this! There is no teltale AFAIK.

If it runs on choke but not without it is either a long way off correct adjustment of the mixture (separate screws for fast and idle on this one?) or more likely that the carb is still not clean.. Poke a soft copper wire through all the passages and jets.

so to know its cooling? maybe tell by temp. of engine???

as for the carb. I super sprayed out all the parts and nozzle. The literature I have read says this thing only has a low speed aduustment. There is not a high speed idle needle on this motor. ????? I blew out all the carb parts also.

The cooling is what really scares me. If I knew I had cooling I would run it longer and try to fiddle with it and adjust it.

Thanks for your post.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Water should spray out the small holes about half way down the leg. It is just water droplets being haphazardly blown out, not a stream.

Your high speed orfice plug is clogged up. Take it out and clean it properly. It must be absolutely shiny squeaky clean, nothing else will do.

OK I do see some drops coming out of those holes. I guess that is good.

High speed orifice plug? Where is that exactly? I don't have a high speed needle..