1965 Chrysler / West bend 50

Fabuglas

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1965 Chrysler / West bend 50

Thanks Iamcanadian for posting the label pic for the wiring. Thing is I can't make out all the writing. Could I trouble you for a clearer pic or to write it out? Thanks

scouser5

Cadet

I have the same engine,which i just got with a boat i bought, any pics or specs you put on fabuglas would be great

IamCanadian

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Iamcanadian for posting the label pic for the wiring. Thing is I can't make out all the writing. Could I trouble you for a clearer pic or to write it out? Thanks

Yeah I will Take a better pic today, Was dark out and I was using a poor camera, I will get a pic once the rain lets up a little. and also put the wire codes in to text for you. From the photo you sent me, It looks like you will need to do some traceing to figure out exactly what you need to do with the wires. When I post a pic, I will give you a good idea on how to put the switches in to not have to bother with your ign switch.

Here is the better pic, should be easy to see.
IMGP2252.jpg

Fabuglas

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you IamCanadian. Very clear image now. Scouser5, I have a feeling this wiring project will be just one of many before my motor is running well and reliably. I will be happy to share.

Fabuglas

Seaman Apprentice

IamCanadian, The pic of your motor decal shows
6. Red Batt (+)
8. Black GND (-)

I will be connecting the positive post of my battery to the engine housing. I am confused again. If there is a way to connect this backwards, I'm your man.

scouser5

Cadet

Thanks Fabuglas and IamCanadian,all help is welcome and thank's for the wiring pics.
What is exactly needed to convert to negative ground?????????.Would make life easier,as I want to put a radio in the boat in the future.

IamCanadian

Petty Officer 3rd Class

To be 100% sure as my motor is a 66 "Chrysler" motor and that chry may have done some electrical changes,
Take the cable off your starter, Using booster cables and a charged battery, attache the ground - cable to the block of the motor on a paint free surface, then touch the positive+ cable to the starters power stud. if the motor turns over you have a neg ground. if the starter spins but does not engage the fly wheel, reverse the cables....if the starter now turns over the motor you have a pos ground.

Doing this test will not harm the other electrical parts and a starter is simply a DC motor and just wont engage if it is spinning the wrong way. after this you will know 100% what ground your motor needs. Let me know results.

As for putting a radio in, if you have a fiberglass boat it is not a problem because there is no electrical bond between motor and hull.
To be extra safe you can always make sure their will be no problem by mounting the radio with wood or plastic, and just run wires from the bat to the radio, an on/off switch to the switched power of the radio is always a good idea too to reduce unwanted power draw when the boat is not in use. I hope this makes sense. If you have an alum boat, just be sure to mount the radio in a isolating structure of some sort so that the radio chassis does not come into contact with any of the boats metal.....same with the antenna.

My Motor is - Ground, from the factory.

Fabuglas

Seaman Apprentice

To close out this thread I wanted to share with anyone interested that the wiring as indicated below is correct for my West Bend 50 HP "Golden Shark 500". Model 50571, Serial 3171 year 1965. It is in fact a battery ignition system and the battery is wired to the motor as positive ground. Thanks for all the help from IamCanadian, Frank and others on the forum.

1. Black - Battery negative (hot)
2. Red - Battery positive (ground)
3. Blue - Ignition ckt.
4. Yellow - Starter control ckt.
5. White - Tachometer
6. Orange - Heat indicator ckt.
7. Green - Choke control ckt.
8. Purple - Charge indicator ckt.

Hey all. New to this site because i just picked up an old 65 westbend500 50 hp i was wondering if anyone can help me solve some " no spark" problem. P.s. thanks for the confusion clear up with the positive ground thing.

IamCanadian

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So what is your spark problem? one cyl? both? Have you looked under the flywheel yet?

Ive been emailing with this fella in belleville who seems to think its not the coils which i originally thought it was. But no. I have not yet taken the fly wheel off. This is mu next step. Take the fly wheel off and clean the points and reset then to .020

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Probably a little late to be jumping into this fray, but everything will work with the battery connected backwards, even the starter. BUT, and this is important..if you connect it backwards, it WILL instantly destroy the rectifier. Likewise, if you replace the rectifier, make sure it is the correct one for the polarity you decide to go with.

The reason that negative ground has become universal is because everybody THINKS electricity flows from positive to negative (out of the positive battery post and returning to the negative one). That is the conventional theory. But it REALLY flows the opposite direction, according to the electron theory. I ran this fact through an electrical engineer at the largest nuclear power plant in US and she confirmed it. But she also said that they operate the plant on the conventional theory, because it is easier for people to understand what they THINK is true.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hey all. New to this site because i just picked up an old 65 westbend500 50 hp i was wondering if anyone can help me solve some " no spark" problem. P.s. thanks for the confusion clear up with the positive ground thing.

Howdy, WestBend.
Welcome to iboats. :)

Being new to the site, you have not read our rules or observed the BIG RED BANNER urging you to NOT POST to old threads.

Please start a new thread of your own.