1965 18hp Johnson won't start

youngbuck007

Cadet
It's been sitting a couple years and ran good when it was put away. I just can't get it to even so much as cough for me now. What I've done:

1. Fresh fuel
2. Pulled plugs and checked for spark, all good
3. Took off the carb and completely cleaned/dried it with brake cleaner, reinstalled.

Yes, I pumped the primer till it was hard, pulled the choke out (and have tried with the choke in), it's in neutral and the throttle is set to start. I pumped the primer with the fuel line that goes to the carb off to make sure it got fuel to that point, which it does. I just can't get it to fire up, not even for a couple seconds. I tried squirting a bit of fuel into the carb a couple times and still nothing. Any ideas?

youngbuck007

Cadet
Re: 1965 18hp Johnson won't start

Have not checked compression or actually changed plugs but will try that tomorrow. Plugs look pretty good but its worth a shot...

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

You are doing the right things? Have you confirmed spark? Cause if you have a good spark and you spray fuel in the carb it's pretty much got to sputter... even a little...

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You are doing some right things and not doing others. You need a systematic approach.

Go to the Top Secret File ^^^ and do "Outboard won't start".

Let us know what you find.