1965 17' aluminum Duracraft Boat Project

mikeatencio

Recruit
I bought an old aluminum boat and want to repaint it and fix the thing up so I can take the kids to the lake on hot summer days. I haven't got a clue how to do this as its the first boat I've ever owned.

The hull looks pretty good. What stripper and or sanding paper would I use with an orbital sander to remove the original paint?

What primer and paint should I use for aluminum? I want it to look nice but I want to paint it cheap and I read I can buy spray paint for it. What brand

I read I should use vinegar to wash the boat down. Is that correct? White or apple cider?

The boat has no seats, Any idea where I can get some seats cheap or, hardware for mounting Wal Mart brand seats? I think it had the back to back seats in the old days and seated four people. How did the seats mount to the floor, with screws or not mounted at all?

I was thinking of putting in a bench along the back for storage and extra seating for the smaller kids. How hard is this to do? Will I have problems by adding extra seating?

The sides inside the boat have no cover. I was thinking of making my own. What material is suitable to make the side panels from and storage lockers/ I'm thinking 3/16" marine plywood and covering with a material or staining it and varnishing it.

I want to put a bimini top on it. Can I make one from scratch? What do I use for the tubing if so? Copper?

The windshield is cracked at the edges - not bad but I'd like to replace them. Any idea where to get a new one?

The hull is cracked back at the top deck joint. Is welding it the preferred way of repairing the seam where it cracked?

I want to paint it camouflage / black and read somewhere I could use a roll-on Rustoleum paint with a roll and tip technique. What is the "tip and Roll" technique and is this Rustoleum paint the same paint I can get at Lowes? Does it have a special mix for aluminum? Do I etch the metal surface with something (sanding with a fine wet dry sandpaper would do that right?)

If someone can walk me through it, I would really appreciate it. I'm sharp and have an excellent knowledge of power tools and fixing homes and old cars but boats are new to me. I want to do it right the first time. I'll not be painting the bottom of the hull but the top half will be painted black with a cool design or camo (undecided) Thanks Mike

Last edited:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: 1965 17' aluminum Duracraft Boat Project

Welcome to iboats.

No need to remove the old paint..... just scuff it and paint over it. If you get to bare aluminum .... you need to prime those spots with a self etching primer or zinc chromate.

Yes get that seam repaired first...... welding is the best.

Forget copper as a bimini top ....... use aluminum or stainless steel tubing that will not react.

I think you just need to start reading the restoration forums.... we have TON'S of aluminum restorations going on and many in the completed project section too.

mikeatencio

Recruit
Re: 1969 16' aluminum Duracraft Boat Project

Re: 1969 16' aluminum Duracraft Boat Project

I have to revise the description. I own a 16' V bow Duracraft aluminum hull boat. It's in rough shape but what is rough is paint and interior - easy stuff to fix.

I want to make my own Bimini top so that is a project in itself. I also want to put in side panels with compartments that can be closed and locked. I had a shop go through the motor before I bought the boat. It is equipped with a 40 HP Evinrude Ski Twin and the foot is in really good shape. The mechanic is going to put in a water pump, rebuild the carb, replace the fuel lines and rebuild the foot.

The foot had all new parts but they were installed wrong and the dog was starting to show wear on the corner and was starting to seize. I got lucky. Now I'm trying to decide how to paint my design on the boat. Vinyl shops want $500.00 for the graphics so I'm going to paint them on myself using Rustoleum spray enamel over prepped and primered paint.

So here is the help I need:
Help with creating the graphics paint, making upholstered sidewalls what are they covered in? (upholstery), carpeting, locating a manual for the boat and motor, help in making a bench seat for the back where my fuel tank goes. Again, making a cushion and upholstery help is really needed. Anyone know how to make the wire to cut the foam for the seats? I understand I can hook a wire to a battery and when it gets red hot, use it to cut the foam. Is this correct? Thanks for the reply about the paint. I'm following your advice and will comment with pictures when it is completed.:D:D