1964 Starcraft Starchief

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 1964 Starcraft Starchief

I wanted to tell you aluminum boat guys about a product I am using in the rebuild for repairing the holes and cracks I am finding in the boat. It is HTS 2000 Aluminum brazing rods. I have access to an aluminum welder but have found that this is much eaiser and holds better. You can fill holes repair cracks and even weld two pieces together and are stronger than welding. All you need is a torch preferribly Mapp Gas. The HTS 2000 Rod melts at 500 degrees below aluminum and flows very well, you just following directions and you can make professional repairs even grind and finish. I am posting some pictures of the cabinet brace that was cracked and welded with HTS 2000. It is sure nice to do weld aluminum in my garage instead of hauling everything to my Step Fathers and borrowing the welder. FYICaptain's Consol 004.jpgCaptain's Consol 005.jpgCaptain's Consol 006.jpg The pictures shows the crack and then both sides after repair.

InMotion

Commander

Well I finally finshed the Helm Cabinet. I installed most of the electronics except the engine gauges. I am waiting to order them. I have come to some hard decisions in the rebuild. First I will not have it finished this year. I have decided to pull the floors and the forward seating to see what suprises are underneath. I want to seal underneath with epoxy sealer after inspection. Second I have decided on the colors for the boat. I am going with the orginal paint scheme in which the hull will be white and evering above the rub rail inside and out will be beige. Third I am not going to rebuild the 1964 Johnson 90 hp engine that came with it, instead I will buy an new Honda Four Cycle either 135 or 150 depending on the weight calculations. I am posting pictures of the finished Helm. I have completed all the woodwork for the interior and now let the fun begin on the boat itself. Have to make windshields, install new transom wood and paint.View attachment 195188View attachment 195189

Helm looks terrific! The Honda will be a terrific motor --- great on gas and if you size it right will have lots of power for your boat. I'd take the Honda 4 stroke any day over an I/B! :)

Jim

Thanks Jim. I don't want to keep thinking that it is going to break sometime. From what I have read that this boat takes alot of power to plane out, so I think that will solve the problem.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

man, that's one sweet boat! Hopefully the Honda calcs work-out for ya!

Ok Folks:
Got to work on the boat all last weekend. I finished the new wooden bow supports, made them out of red oak and polished the aluminum brackets. I also pulled out the floor and the storage lockers in the bow and now have her down to just aluminum. By pulling the floor I found out that there was alot of wasted space in the bow plywood cover. I intend to put a door on it and will be able to have additional storage. Next I need to pull out the windshield and the old transom wood and I will be ready to coat the bottom in Gluvit and start to put the primer on the inside then paint. I also got to fix the transom cover and have it in the first coat of primer. The cover was dented through the years and alot of unessary holes were filled. I have attached photos of the latest work.Paint 019.jpgPaint 024.jpgPaint 025.jpg

Ok, I got some more work finished over the weekend. First I would thank everyone for not warning me of what a job it was taking out the old transom. I used every tool that I own, used every cuss word I ever learned and most of the Band Aids in the house. I guess the old builders did not want the old one to ever come out. Every nut had the threads of the screw smashed in with a hammer. The head of the screw was slotted so it was impossible to hold and try to break the screw. So out came the 41/2" angle grinder and it came off slowly. The old plywood was 1 1/2" thick and I glued two 3/4 inch pieces together with waterproof glue and traced the old transom and cut a new one. I also finished the new transom with two coats of epoxy to make sure it will be waterproof. My first mate Donna assisted me in getting all the windshield bolts out and we removed the old windshield. I also sprayed the finish coat on the splash tray for the stern. I need to redo parts of the tray, I found some dents still in it, if I do not fix them it will drive me nuts. Next on the list is to power wash the inside of the boat and cover all the rivets in Gluvit and paint the Builge with Gluvit. Then I will start sanding the inside and the topside and paint. Then comes bending new windshields. I will keep you informed. Here are some more pictures of the work to date.01JUL2013014.jpg01JUL2013 018.jpg01JUL2013019.jpg01JUL2013 021.jpg01JUL2013 022.jpg

dozerII

Admiral

Looking good North. I'm sure there a re lots of guys waiting to see how you bend the new windshields.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

First I would thank everyone for not warning me of what a job it was taking out the old transom

We didn't want to discourage you, North. :lol: Seems to be a crap shoot how easy or hard it is. Some almost fall out and others, well resist all efforts to get out. Don't forget more Band-Aids. I like the assorted sizes - Some tinny scratches need big ones. :eek:

schalmat

Cadet

Great job so far North! Id love to have a 64,,,we had one when i was a kid back in 76-77 lots of great family memories .,had a 110 I/O.dad did all the interior in white and wood and the out side that was that brown was done in a turquois blue..gorgeous boat, I think it ended up somewhere in the lake erie region.Anyhoo,,love watching your progress!

Hi Guys I am back. I had a rough summer last year and had to quit due to a stupid heart attack and then the wife would not let me do much cause she thought I would break. Just a warning shot and now I am back full throttle. Long winter and did not get to much in the garage. I got the new bow supports in, finished painting the interior, mounting the cabinets installing the seats, carpet, transom and transom cap. I can now finish installing the wood panels on the side and the wooden doors on the transom cap after vacation. I am posting some pictures so you can see the progress. Sorry for not posting sooner but until retirement comes I usually work on boat them hit the sack.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Hey northwood, the forum has been upgraded and isn't up and running right quite yet. Your pics didn't go though.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Glad you're back and gaining strength. A tinny is good physical therapy. As long as you don't overdo it.

sheddski

Recruit
I’m new here but been following friscoboater with his Glastron and sea ray too but came across a boat I remember very well my late fathers 1964 Starcraft starchief light blue top and deck white hull 1964 evinrude 60 hp holsclaw trailer I spotted this boat coming home from Maine in 1971 look dad I said that’s a great looking boat it’s for sale I was 15 he turned around and he owned that boat for 20 years I can say we used it and replaced what was needed rebuilt trailer but the boat was for the most part original cushions flooring motor top deck paint side windows hardware even air horn the bottom was stripped to bare metal because of electrolisys from salt water use but looked great he paid 1,850 in 1971

Status
Not open for further replies.