1964 Johnson 40 hp Ignition System & Airguide Tach Compatability

KEB

Recruit
I own a 1964 Johnson 40hp electric start and purchased an Airguide Tachometer Model 653 assuming it would be compatible based on the chart from the following website.

http://www.classicboatwork.com/clas...ons/Airguide Tachometer Application Guide.pdf

However, the instructions for the tach (also from the classic boat work site), explicitly state the Airguide model 653 is only for magneto ignitions and will not work with battery ignitions. For magneto ignitions the instructions state the tach is supposed to be connected to the "magneto primary" and for other model designed for battery ignition the tach is connected to the breaker points terminal. I preface my questions with the disclaimer that i know little about outboards except how to do routine maintenance.

My Q's are as follows:
1. What type of ignition do i have?
2. Although my ignition is battery powered doesn't it have a magneto?
3. If i do not have the correct model tach, what Airguide tach models from the chart (see link) is compatible with my particular engine?
4. If i do have the correct tach, how would I install it?

Thanks

Ken

geoffwga1

Petty Officer 1st Class
You do not have"Battery ignition" you have a magneto.The only thing your battery does is provide power to the starter.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
If I was you I'd call Airguide Customer Service for a good wiring diagram.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
From that chart, it would appear you bought the correct tachometer. I would think it would need to be connected to the black point wire of one of the magnetos, and I would think it will have a selector switch to set to 2 cylinders.

KEB

Recruit
Thank you all for your responses, they were helpful. Now just need to install it!!