1964 Evinrude Starflite Water Muffs?

ImHoppy

Cadet
I recently purchased a 1977 Marlin Catalina with a 1964 Evinrude Starflite 75hp engine model 75492D. Looking through my Service Manual it appears to me that water muffs can not be used to run this engine out of the water because of the cold water intake location, which is just above the prop. Looks to me like I will need a large container that I can fill with enough water to allow the cold water intake to be submerged. Anyone have something they found to be good for this? My dad used to use a 55 gallon drum back in the 50's but I don't think I need something that big (tall) to do the job.

Thanks in advance.

Will Bark

Lieutenant
You will need something tall enough to make sure the water pump is submerged; about halfway up the housing should do it deeper is better. Good luck

racerone

Supreme Mariner
See the plate on the side of the motor lower unit with 3 screws ?-----Make a dummy plate like that with an adapter for the garden hose.----Tape over the intake behind the prop while test running.---Do not forget to remove tape after testing.

ImHoppy

Cadet
See the plate on the side of the motor lower unit with 3 screws ?-----Make a dummy plate like that with an adapter for the garden hose.----Tape over the intake behind the prop while test running.---Do not forget to remove tape after testing.
Yes, I did see that plate. It has a fine mesh screen over the opening in it. I wondered if it also was a cold water inlet but could find nothing about it in the Service Manual. That sounds like a good idea. Not remembering to take the tape off the inlet by the prop would be a bad thing for sure.
Thanks for that idea.

ImHoppy

Cadet
You will need something tall enough to make sure the water pump is submerged; about halfway up the housing should do it deeper is better. Good luck

Good to know that I need to go that high. Thank you for that.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Tempo used to make flushers for that motor. You might find one on E-bay.

yorab

Ensign
The special flusher works (sort of) but is not ideal. Instead, dunk it in water that is deep enough or do as racerone suggests. I've always wanted to make an adapter but never got around to it. Seems to be the most efficient use of the cooling water and there's no need to fill up a big azz tub which will later need to be dumped out with plenty of unburned fuel and crud in it.

Last edited:

ImHoppy

Cadet
Tempo used to make flushers for that motor. You might find one on E-bay.
I found a Tempo Motor Flusher on Ebay for $9.99 with FREE shipping. I couldn't make one for that price. This particular one attaches directly to the Cold Water Inlet. There were a couple of others that attached to where the auxilliary intake plate is but none for a 1964 75hp.
Tempo No.916 Motor Flusher.jpg

Last edited: