1964 Evinrude 9.5hp Shift issues/adjustment

swannysonny

Cadet
Hi everyone. I have a 1964 Evinrude 9.5hp that does not want to shift properly when the lower unit is installed. With the lower unit removed, it shifts into forward, neutral, and reverse just fine on the lower unit and the shift rod on the lower motor cover. It was shifting fine before I took the lower unit off to replace the impeller. I have tried adjusting the shift lever using the bolt by the powerhead but that did not solve the issue. I have bought and flipped a dozen or so outboards on Facebook marketplace as well as done about everything imaginable on my 1981 Johnson 90hp so I am pretty familiar with outboards. This one just has me stumped. Is there a special procedure for installing the lower unit? or is there another adjustment I am missing? Any suggestions are welcome!

RBoyd1971

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just be sure the bolt going through the brass clamp is lined up and passing through the groove in the shift rod in both the upper and lower rod and that either rod hasn't pulled out of the clamp. Simple as that.

swannysonny

Cadet
Just be sure the bolt going through the brass clamp is lined up and passing through the groove in the shift rod in both the upper and lower rod and that either rod hasn't pulled out of the clamp. Simple as that.
I agree it should be simple as that but it's still not shifting correct. I can get it to shift between reverse and neutral no problem but it does not shift into forward. I have double checked it tonight and the lower unit itself shifts fine when not installed.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
1. Throttle must be backed off before you can shift.
2. If motor is not running, the gears simply might not be aligned. Twirl the prop. does it shift now?

swannysonny

Cadet
1. Throttle must be backed off before you can shift.
2. If motor is not running, the gears simply might not be aligned. Twirl the prop. does it shift now?
Yes i have backed off the throttle and I have been twirling the prop or using the pull cord to try shifting it. It does not shift to forward when doing either.