1964 13' whaler!

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant
I'll post here since this is new.<br /><br />Here is my whaler...slightly modified<br /><br /> http://www.keltonkrew.com/whaler.html <br /><br />
whaler-25.jpg

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1964 13' whaler!

Gorgeous console, KK :) <br /><br />Here is (was) my 1980 Montauk, Sunshine III, which now belongs to Ryan T.<br />
watermark.php

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

nice boat...I wish mine was a 15', but oh well. After all the hours I put into fixin' her up, she's all I got :D <br /><br />Learned a lot from jimh's site....don't visit too much more over there but post every once in a while...still get a lot of email questions from that site.<br /><br />I modified my boat (some of the true whaler enthusiast's were upset I did what I did), but I made it fit my configuration. For practicallity I should have made a fiberglass console, but I wanted to try to keep some of the whaler theme, so I built that mahogany console. fits like a charm!<br /><br />nice boat....I just love the looks of the classic whalers.

11 footer

Lieutenant

Wow,<br />I just realized I don't have any recent picts of the Montauk, (Sunshine lll) heres an older one from last summer.<br />
Album-1

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer

Kelton, I have a old-style Montauk that I have modified to fit my needs. I really did not know (Or Care) that my boat was considered a classic until I was finished restoring it. I replaced the worn-out wood console with a new fiberglass model. I also cut down the tall Whaler bow rails to make it easier to throw my cast net and/or fish. I also added a T Top to the rig.<br /><br />I have a Johnson 88 SPL on the back, and I am getting about 41 MPH with full fishing gear and two people. The V-4 Johnson is bullet proof.<br /><br />I actually have people stop me at the gas station asking me why I removed the "Classic Montauk" features. I usually tell them that I wanted a good fishing boat and not looking for a "Classic" show boat. Nevertheless, I love my old Whaler, and as soon as I figure out how to post Pics on this site, I will do so.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Howdy, TD.<br /><br />If your Whaler had a wood console it wasn't a Montauk. The wood console models were on the "pre-smirk" hull used up until about 1973.<br /><br />My Sunshine I was a 1966 Sakonnet, but the Nauset and Eastport were very similar. The differences were in the seating, and only the Sakonnet had the raised front deck that Sunshine I had. That would have made shortening the rail unnecessary.<br /><br />Many of the Sakonnets and Nausets have been "upgraded" to glass consoles. I have a pic of Sunshine I that I need to get hosted so I can post it here.<br /><br />Either way, you have one of the finest and most versatile fishing boats ever built.

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer

JB,<br />My hull is a 1971, and I was always told it was a Montauk. I did indeed have a wood console, but I replaced it with a fiberglass model. I purchased an 18 gallon gas tank and fit it under the console along with two deep-cycle batteries hook up in paralell (I mispelled that I think) With the gas tanks and batteries moved forward, I placed a cooler-seat behind the console. With the weight shifted forward, my boat get up on plane very quickly, and it draws very little water which makes it perfect for flats fishing here.<br /><br />In fact, it was really rough in our inlet here the other night, but the snook and redfish were in the inlet really thick. People looked at me crazy as I took my old Whaler up into the thick of it, but she handled the rough water like it was bath water. Even for her size, the old girl is surprisingly dry.<br /><br /> Like I said, I love my boat, and here is the best thing of all: IT IS PAID FOR.

River - Runner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Kelton, I remember good times in a boat like yours when I was a teenager. My uncle had a 1964 13 footer, but with the down low side console steering wheel. It was new when I was last in it. It's still in the family and looks great. It now has a 50 hp short shaft Johnson on it.<br /><br />Whaler's are not seen much up here in the upper Mississippi river or this area. Too bad, because they are great boats. They always get my attention because of the impression that boat made on me. Nice to see yours again. I remember the picture and all the work you did on the boat. Wow!

yater

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That 13' is a beautiful boat. I've been reading the forums at continuouswave for a week or so and can't get enough of them. I'm looking for one for myself after a scary outing in the 14' jon boat

David Greer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Very nice.<br />What's your motor--looks like my 1972 Merc 200. Is it short shaft, and did you have to make mods for the steering rod? I used a shortshaft and the old pulley system (replacing the original Fastwin 18.) <br />Mine's a 1964 13' sport, too. I just restored the wood; I'll get a picture to post.