1963 mercury 35 hp: idles but won't go $#%@^*&^@%$

scot

Seaman Apprentice
Help.<br />We took our 63 Penn Yan 15 footer out the other day,second time this year, after a tune up at the local marina.<br />It was running ok before but I thought why not get the elecrtic choke hooked up and the carb tweeked.<br />We put it in the water on Keuka lake and headed down the shoreline at speed.<br />A piece of wood got stuck in front of the engine spraying water up into the boat so i shut it down and cleared it.<br />Fired it up and on we go for 30 seconds and it stops dead like it ran out of gas.<br />Tank vent open.<br />Full tank of gas.<br />I started it up, put in forward and it stalls.<br />I found that starting it and giving it 30%<br />choke would let it move forward enough to get us back to the landing.<br />I called a number of marinas and they said our one year old toy was something they were not interested in working on because of it's age.<br />This motor was running real good.<br />What do i do now?<br />Where can i get a shop/parts manual?<br />Are paarts available?<br />ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!<br />Scot Marechaux<br />scot104@yahoo.com<br /><br />------------------<br />LIVING WELL IS THE BEST REVENGE!

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1963 mercury 35 hp: idles but won't go $#%@^*&^@%$

Well Scot,<br />I see they don't know how to fix a motor with out any plastic parts on it. :B<br />Check the public libary for a service manual.<br />If they don't have one I can help with that.<br />Yes you can get parts for that motor.
smile.gif
<br />It could be that the float jammed when you tipped the motor up and it holding the needle in the seat.Or ya loosened some dirt up in the carb that is now lodged in the high<br />speed jet stoping any major gas flow.<br />The float is beside the carb(starboard) a 3/8<br />head bolt holdes the filter cover on. when that is off 2 small screws hold the needle & seat/float bowl cover on. Under that it the float. The high speed jet is behind the 7/16th brass bolt at the bottom front of the carb. It is easyist to get at these with the top motor cover off, 4 nuts, 1 ground strap,<br />and disconnect the choke rod from the knob.<br />It will lift off then( watch for falling washers or spacers)so it will be easier to work on.<br />...have fun...corm

scot

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1963 mercury 35 hp: idles but won't go $#%@^*&^@%$

Hey Corm<br />I hoped you would reply you seem to be the motor man.<br />This is a nice motor that seem to scare the bejeesus out of the local bubbas that call them selves mechanics.<br />I'll give this a try.<br />My thoughts were as you'res that a piece of junk cloged up the jet.<br />I hope i can solve it with your instructions.<br />wish your were local to do the job.<br />Thanks<br />Scot